Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Best Oil for 5.0 191K miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil for 5.0 191K miles

I am planning on purchasing a 1996 F150 Ext Cab Short Bed Eddie Bauer edition from a single owner and it has 191k miles on it. I want to make this vehicle my daily driver and want to keep it running for a long time. What oil should I use in the engine? 10W-30? 5W-30? Conventional or Synthetic? I like using synthetic in my Ranger because I feel like it runs better, but on an older vehicle with more miles I do not want to spring any leaks by switching (if they arent running it with Synth already). Also is high mileage oil a good option? Any downsides to HM oil? Please let me know! I want to get this baby running as good as possible and treat it well.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

This is the oil grade guide:

(phone app link)

Read the caption. Any high-quality name-brand oil should be fine, but I don't like Quaker State (too much sludge). I aim for MotorCraft (of course), Havoline, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, or Tech2000 (WalMart's house brand). I don't recommend full-synthetic for any smallblock engine, and you're right about switching - I had to replace my CV's engine because I switched.

I haven't seen anything to make me think HM oil is any better. My 4.9L has ~860Kmi, and I run normal oil in it.

There's no point having 2 threads about oil in a truck you're considering buying. It can all go here:
Originally Posted by Dylan_Rinck
I am planning on taking a look at and potentially purchasing a 1996 F150 5.0 this friday and was just told there is a minor oil leak. I have not gotten an answer back as to where and when this oil leak may be or first started. Here is a picture that made me ask. Any input?
That pic isn't very informative since the puddle can't have come from the truck being parked there. So it tells us nothing about the location of the leak. But it does look serious enough to get it fixed SOON. It might surprise you what can happen if you just keep adding oil as it leaks out...

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 04-25-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They say that it has been a few years with this small leak and that they have done regular oil changes ever 5000-6000 miles and never needed to add oil. This saturday I will be taking it to a Firestone for a pre-purchase inspection.

Last edited by Dylan_Rinck; 04-25-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

So how about the inspection? Did all go well?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

If his Firestone is like the one in my town, not very well . I know someone who went to Firestone for an oil change. They told him he needed new brakes, rotors, all the hoses and belts changed. His car only had 12,000 miles and not even 2 years old
Old 05-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Repair shops (even those with tire-brand signs out front) make their money by doing repairs. Some of the techs are more aggressive in looking for repairs to do than others.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As you may have guessed I didn't buy it. The power steering was leaking and I did not want to deal with it.

I picked up a 2005 F150 5.4 SCrew a year ago. Still on the search for a 1996 F150 like pictured though
Old 07-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

It was a nice looking truck. If doing the Saginaw pump upgrade you have to change the pump and lines anyway. One of the best upgrades that you can do on these trucks.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:10 PM

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
Repair shops (even those with tire-brand signs out front) make their money by doing repairs. Some of the techs are more aggressive in looking for repairs to do than others.
Truer words have never been written, the difference between a repair shop and a dealer's service center is... well I guess the dealer doesn't make as much on a repair, is that right? Wait, maybe, a dealer's service center does the job right the first time, wait, that can't be right, I guess there is a couple of differences, they must be big. Maybe someone that actually knows the real difference(s) could post, but I'm pretty sure the service center make their money by doing repairs, I want a "tech", mechanic to aggressively look for problems when checking out one of my vehicles, lazy won't cut it, I'd much rather have a very demanding eye. Of course, some repair shops, as some dealer's service centers "invent" problems-this would be dishonest, criminals. I guess the big difference is, while under warranty the dealer's service center is supposed to do the work in accordance with the terms of the warranty, and I guess they are suppose to inform you of any recalls etc. Believe it or not, some repair shops around the country have very talented mechanics, and get the job done right the first time, at a lower cost than you'd pay for the "same" thing from a dealer's service center.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:22 PM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowbrick
It was a nice looking truck. If doing the Saginaw pump upgrade you have to change the pump and lines anyway. One of the best upgrades that you can do on these trucks.
what Slowbrick said

Quick Reply: Best Oil for 5.0 191K miles