Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

battery not holding it's charge over night

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default battery not holding it's charge over night

Anyone know of this problem... I switched the ground from the block to one of the bolts holding the alt on. Seemed to have fixed the problem for a few days but it's back again. not sure whats happening here. anywhere I should be checking? certain fuses, or fusable links? I've got a chilton but I only trust half of whats printed in it. Like sparkplug gapping... chiltons was way off but the ones I bought from the store were in spec with the sticker under the hood.

anyways I'm off to go bleed the clutch. Ill check in later.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Big Rig Driver

still no answers after 35 looks?

The battery is brand new... going to be doing the Big 3 soon hopefully.
I'll check the regulator tomorrow but the alt is definately charging the system according to the guage.

I'll do the short check tomorrow as well altho I hate electrical lol.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possible the battery has a collapsed cell. New or not I would have it load tested. Autozone, etc.... usually do them for free. Just went through this on my Explorer.

I hooked up my test meter to the battery and see if I could see a draw from the truck. Could try that also, then unhook the truck and test again to make sure it is not the battery actually doing it.

Turned out the genius that put the stereo in hooked the stereo memory and the battery together. This caused the accessory delay to have feedback through it and be on all the time. Which ran the battery down.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Big Rig Driver

Well my stereo is hooked up to the dimmer switch. If I turn down the dimmer switch the stereo shuts off.

We have a battery tester at work... you hook it up to the terminals and then click the switch and it puts a draw on the battery. With the truck still hooked up as well it went to weak immediately but when the truck isn't hooked up it's normal.

Thanks for the reply... I did do a search but only came back with 3 threads. Still need to see the proper procedures for testing things. Just never been much of a wiring guy.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
No One

That could be your problem right there. The stereo should not be hooked to the dimmer switch at all. Did someone hack the wires behind your dash? Did you use a wiring kit?

This site http://the12volt.com should help you out quite a bit. Especially if someone hacked your dash wiring.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Big Rig Driver

I have no idea what it looks like back there yet. I had just figured it out on the way up to my place. I usually turn down the dimmer for the dash during the day to save the bulbs. Went to turn on my stereo and no power. Couldn't figure it out for awhile and then night time came and I turned up the dash lights and the stereo turned on.

I dont know wtf the guy was thinking... the 12v power source is removed but it looks like the stock connector is still connected as well. I'll have to dig into the system I guess and figure it all out.

I'm guessing he's hacked it up back there... anyone know of a good wire to hook the system to? Stereos usually have a power, illumination and memory dont they? I cant remember for the life of me.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM
No One

Yes it usually goes red - main power illumination, yellow- memory. Could be orange for memory also.

The site I gave you will tell all you want to know and some you don't want to know about the wiring lol.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:29 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

If the stereo has an illumination wire it will be hooked to the dimmer.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:31 PM
No One

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
If the stereo has an illumination wire it will be hooked to the dimmer.
Guess I didn't think about that man. That would not cause the stereo to go dead though with dimmer off would it?

BTW nice to see you again.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

If the power was hooked to the dimmer it would go dead, but not the illumination wire. Definitely need to go through the stereo wiring.

Good to see you again also.

Quick Reply: battery not holding it's charge over night