Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Battery Drain/Ignition Question/Loose gear selector (auto)

Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Battery Drain/Ignition Question/Loose gear selector (auto)

So, I have a pretty awesome draw on my battery and after doing some testing I think my ignition is stuck in Accessory. When I got the truck, it DID NOT have the stock ignition in it, and instead had a generic ignition that the prev owner put in. There is NOTHING in the ignition housing, I was able to look at pics and it appears as if the last guy took everything out of the ignition housing, I can't even see what I would call "actuating rod" that the ignition would engage when spun around in there. Here's a pic, but it all seems really vacant and super dirty, I'm just trying to figure out what I need, or if I should just run down to Pull-A-Part and grab a new column and throw that in this summer. Is it possible my ignition is stuck in accessory and thats what's causing the draw? Heres why I think it is in Acc. : With the key off (generic ignition), I can: roll down windows, turn on my blower fan, etc.

Battery Drain/Ignition Question/Loose gear selector (auto)-kceucq9.jpg

And how do I tigten up the column shifter? It's super loose and All I've seen are two torx screws, is that how I tighten it up?

Thanks for the help people! Happy New Years!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I would probably get another column, although I can't tell how damaged yours is. No reason to pull the lock cylinder unless they lost the key, and without the key you have to break the lock out. They might have another switch somewhere that shuts down accessory. Not good leaving accessory on all the time, not just because of the dying battery.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

They could've pulled out the cylinder to make a repair like me, and have it come apart. I had to replace the actuator rod in mine, I couldn't turn off the truck but I could start it. It was a fun job on e you throw in tilt too lol. But yea where your lock cylinder goes I remember having a green thing to keep the cylinder from either turning to far or to keep itself from turning too far, I can't remember. And some other gear thing. It's been a little while that's why I'm being so vague. But if you can turn off the truck, then the actuator rod is definitely there, and not broken. If you can start it but not turn it off, then it's probably broken but this isn't your problem. Also make sure the ignition box hasn't shifted, it has a little play room when the bolts are loose, and it may have just shifted, especially if the po messed with it. It may be enough not to get the box all the way to off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Drain/Ignition Question/Loose gear selector (auto)