Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Bad water pump causes stalling at 55MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bad water pump causes stalling at 55MPH?

Greetings,

I have had several issues with my truck. The latest is now it is stalling while driving. It is a 1995 F150 E4OD 351. I has a leak at the water pump so I fill up the coolant before going anywhere. It doesn't gush, just drip.

Well yesterday I took it for a trip 2 counties away, and at about 16 miles away from home, it stalled while going 55MPH. I pulled off and popped the hood. I noticed there was a lot of coolant in the overflow tank. There is usually none in there, even though I constantly fill it up.

I was able to pop the radiator cap and put in more water. I also noticed gurgling in the water lines. After about 20 minutes, It finally decided to start. So I pointed home, and started driving.

I got 1 exit up the road and it stalled again. I pulled off, and called AAA.

So here are the symptoms, The coolant has oil in it. I have cleaned the overflow bottle last summer, and it has oil deposits in it.

I changed the oil last fall 2012, and it was just oil, no coolant contamination, or chocolate milk look. (good)

So is it just the water pump's failing that is causing all this?

Where could oil be getting into the coolant?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Moral of the story, change the $20 pump as soon as it starts leaking.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got it hot and either hurt the heads or block, or popped the head gaskets. Oil in the coolant is never a good sign.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

ATF runs through radiator in a cell inside one of the tanks and it appears that ATF cell is leaking and mixing with your water. This is assuming your engine oil is clean as you've stated. As far as the stalling goes it could be engine because of overheating or tranny because of oil pressure loss or water in the oil. Like other member stated, buy a water pump before you have to spend thousands on engine and tranny damage caused by the leaky pump.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM

I purchased the truck with this issue 2 years ago. Stupid me... I have changed the Transmission fluid last year, and it didn't have any coolant in it.

I thought if the head gasket was blown, it would have coolant in the oil as well?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Test for coolant contamination. There are testers you can pick up at a parts store to see if there is contamination in the coolant. Next do your compression and vacuum tests for a cracked block or gasket. Read your spark plugs for contamination or overheating. Pressure test the cooling system. You can get a loaner tool from a parts store for that. Pressurize the system and listen for the leak. If its leaking into the trans or oil, this should make it obvious.
The following users liked this post:
Tiderfish (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM

I had just changed the spark plugs, 2 months ago. I realized I gapped them incorrectly. So I pulled them all out one at a time, and re-gapped them. I noticed the 3rd from the #1 on the passenger side had a drop of oil on it. The others seemed okay. Not too roasted, or anything.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiderfish
I had just changed the spark plugs, 2 months ago. I realized I gapped them incorrectly. So I pulled them all out one at a time, and re-gapped them. I noticed the 3rd from the #1 on the passenger side had a drop of oil on it. The others seemed okay. Not too roasted, or anything.
That doesn't sound bad, however 2 months can be a lot of miles on my truck anyway. Was it stalling then?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Warlockk
That doesn't sound bad, however 2 months can be a lot of miles on my truck anyway. Was it stalling then?
It stalled on me 2x after changing the plugs. Before I had this issue, it only stalled when going into reverse. However that problem is no more.

It stalled on me 2x on a short trip 2 months or so ago, and I parked it and it sat since then.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Better to have oil in the coolant than coolant in the oil. Sounds like a head gasket out to me. Chances of a warped or cracked heads now are high. What was the temp gauge reading when all this happened? Some problems that raises and not fixed asap can result in costly fixes later.

Quick Reply: Bad water pump causes stalling at 55MPH?