Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.
View Poll Results: WILL YOU INSTALL THIS SYSTEM ON YOUR TRUCK?
YES immediately
0%
MAYBE soon
0%
NOT THIS PAYDAY
0%
WHY BOTHER?
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Back up canera report for 95 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Back up canera report for 95 f-150

My previous thread about researching info on installing a back up camera for my 95 F-150 flareside XLT found an answer. I trust the techs at the Prescott AZ BEST BUY store to install the only back up camera that my dashboard will accommodate. Cannot use the standard camera set ups because my dash does not have 4 inches between the AC/def selector switches and the top of the dash.
I wanted at least a 4” screen and did not want a mirror image mount (3” too small and unreadable). I wanted quality back up options showing backing lines to follow and 170 deg viewing angle in rear, low light features and all weather visibility.

The only system available (compensating for the lack of 4” dash height for screen) is the OverDryve 7C system. It is a wireless system with the camera mounted on the license plate/frame talking to a 4x6” screen on the dash with hard wires connected to the (archaic yet handy) cigarette lighter. This ensures the system is always on as safety back up for the wireless communication between camera and screen. There are options for tire pressure sensors.
The price in Prescott for this system fits my budget (approx $450) and install was simply a camera, wiring to lighter and screen install ($65) barring any unforseen glitches.
That price is doable naxt payday and will apply on line for financing choices. If I can get zero percent for 12 months then my safety issues will be solved in about 2 months. What a nice birthday present in Sept.

Hope this update helps those of you who will seriously think about upgrading your own safety issues with a back-up camera. I recently backed into a Honda in a parking lot. No-fault accident with $100 deductible and new right rear fender for me and right tail light fix for her. She backed out of her space as I backed out of mine behind her and SMACK-aroo. Neither one of us saw the other. This camera will help me see more than just cars…as I learned to use my mirrors (do NOT turn your head to see behind you). USE YOUR MIRRORs and this camera with common sense.
Thanks for all your input and letting me share…

Proud Woman Veteran Driving…Capt JJJello

Last edited by JJJELLO; 08-11-2017 at 03:22 AM. Reason: gross misspellings, should be CAMERA in thread title not Canera
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

THREAD TITLE should read CAMERA not CANERA. And I am a retired technical editor for C-130s. My Colonel would red line this error. Thank heavens he is not reading my threads. Proof reading leads to misspellings which are OK since I am retired and don’t have to report to anyone on my writings. Too much integrity leads to compulsions ensuring no misspellings but those expectations are moot as I am FREE from scrutiny and self-sabatoge gremlins. Love retirement. Hope ya’ll enjoy it too. Let go of self-imposed and base-less expectations and Live life as you want.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

My other 2 vehicles (2011 Mustang, 2014 Ford Edge) have factory option reverse cameras. My wife and I love them. I only drive my 1991 F150 less than 500 miles per year. When backing up in the truck, I do look for a screen for a second or two, then I turn my head

If I drove my truck a lot of miles per year, I would buy a reverse camera for it
The following users liked this post:
JJJELLO (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I put one on mine mainly for trailer hooking. It rocks at that, I can see the ball and hitch clearly, to the point the drama is pretty well gone. It is nice not to run over short people, and even stuff, in what would otherwise be a blind spot. Cost wise, I bought a retractable 7" screen radio, second hand, for $100 (a decent new one starts around $200). the camera was, under $25. Install I traded labor for labor, could have done it myself, but had access to a former pro stereo installer.
The following users liked this post:
JJJELLO (08-12-2017)