Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

APPLES vs ORANGES? headers vs magnaflow exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default APPLES vs ORANGES? headers vs magnaflow exhaust?

Does my 1995 2x2 auto tranny F-150 XLT with 95k and a 302 V-8, 5.0 with single tail pipe really need an ego-driven expense of headers? The expense will satisfy my hot-rod-granny get-up-and-go acceleration desires but break my budget if they are not really necessary.
My catalytic converter probably needs replacing and that expense can be budgeted. Should I sideline my ego and stick with what I really NEED such as magnaflow cat system with upgrade to dual pipes?

Research shows drastic price differences (eBay, Auto Anything, Summit Racing) from a Magnaflow 93307 series direct fit cat converter for $246.93 to a Magnaflow 49 cat converter #93516 for $120.58 to a #2020056 for $278.37. And a few others: 94007 @ $119.49; 94106 @ $75.69; 2020056 for $278.37. Is price the mitigating factor for better performance or is it what my mechanic says I need for what I want to accomplish i.e., sexier pipes, strong rumbling engine, environmentally and lawfully compliant.

The cat does need replacing. Any suggestions, ideas or budgeting advice ya’ll can give me is very welcome as my bills are paid for July and there is room left for the catalytic converter but not my hot-rod alter-ego.

Thanks for your help. Awaiting your suggestions, insight, and humorous responses to my verbose concerns. It’s so nice to use words with more than 5 letters to others who understand them.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Ok first thing,

DO NOT BUY THE MAGNAFLOW DIRECT FIT CAT CONVERTER - IT IS NOT A DIRECT FIT!!!

I just spent about $1000 on a custom Y-pipe, high flow stainless catalytic converter, single chamber muffler, with single out exhaust behind the passenger tire. I love it and intend to put in shorty headers at some point. Long tube headers are not possible in my application (4x4, manual transmission), and in general not necessary for the amount of power a stock 302 puts out. A good y pipe with 2.25" from the manifold to a 3" single pipe all the way back will give the the most power you can hope to get out of a 302 without losing any low end torque that a truck needs. And it sounds filthy good:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2i79wgodx...82331.3gp?dl=0

If you are wanting a bolt on solution (something I considered until I really compared pricing), then your best bet will be a Bassani Y pipe (get the one with the stainless cat and the flanges you need to mount them to the stock manifolds - $425 at autoanything), and one of those magnaflow muffler exhaust systems with the tailpipe section that they sell on ebay (about $220). You are still going to need a 3" connector from the cat to the muffler, and then someone to weld up all of the joints.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...A2673A0A0.aspx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-F2...RWoUkD&vxp=mtr

If you want to add shorty headers later then you can, because that y pipe is designed to bolt up to factory manifolds, and most shorty headers are designed to bolt up to the factory y pipe. I personally would spend the money on a good K&N air intake system before the headers.
The following users liked this post:
JJJELLO (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:05 AM

One of the first things I did last June when I bought my truck was install the K&N air intake system. WOW. What a difference it made. Now I have a road trip planned for a cat converter blow out drive from Prescott to Ashfork and back to get those puppies hot (as previous post suggested) and see if that makes a difference in my slogging engine issues. Will get my exhaust shop to see if what I need is what you suggested and price it out for me. Will hold out on the manifolds as the cat replacement has priority (if road trip blow out fails).
On eBay I found a dual exhaust flowmaster super 44 muffler for $215 and a magnaflow 93307 series cat for $250. If I need a new cat will I need a new muffler too? I will add visit to exhaust shop to list of errands this week. Check back in later.

Proud Woman Vet Driving
Old 07-04-2017, 11:13 AM

UP DATE TO original post…
ROAD TRIP menu was caffeine free Diet Coke, red licorice and Cheetos as I speeded up Highway 89 from Prescott to Ashfork blowing out my catalytic converter as previous post-er suggested.
Did not use the air conditioner as it was a beautiful cooler day (90 deg not 103) and truck loves the open road at 65-75 mph. Me too. Did not turn off engine for 60+ miles then slowed down as I entered Paulden and Chino Valley headed home.
Punched the accelerator and got a good response from the engine. Idle was steady. Turned it off to get a soda at the local quick stop. Started up okay and drove 2 miles home on unimproved dirty bumpy county roads.
It is a “no-go-nowhere” day so will wait til tomorrow to start engine. There was no gas smell in the garage or leakage underneath.
What is next besides seeing how it performs around town with the AC on or off?
Oh, my speedometer only goes up to 80mph. I went about 78 at one point in my blow-out road trip. Will the truck go faster but just not register on the meter or will it break?