Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Anyone use one of those LED flasher relay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone use one of those LED flasher relay?

Was looking into changing my turn signals into LED. My rear signal, is one of those "utility truck bumpers" so it's old school round, like a trailer light, with an canbus bulb.

Would it be easier to just replace the turn signal relay in the engine bay and get the corresponding bulbs? The relay just plugs into the old relay?

Electronics confuse me....
Old 04-24-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

This is the one I got of Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

I've only put LEDs in the front turn signals and I'm not having any hyper-flash problems, so I haven't put the electronic flasher in yet. But from the reviews on Amazon, the flasher does plug right in to our trucks and takes care of the flash issues.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by clintm6
This is the one I got of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only put LEDs in the front turn signals and I'm not having any hyper-flash problems, so I haven't put the electronic flasher in yet. But from the reviews on Amazon, the flasher does plug right in to our trucks and takes care of the flash issues.
Ohhhhh interesting! The one from LMC catalog is square.

Now I think I get it. This goes in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash right? The round bottom part?

This may be a dumb question, but the turn signal is the bottom amber colored lens and the sidemarker is the clear lens next to the headlight right? Cause I'm pretty sure those blink on mine when I use my turn signal. So did you get it for both of those or just the bottom one?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ericantonio
Ohhhhh interesting! The one from LMC catalog is square.

Now I think I get it. This goes in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash right? The round bottom part?

This may be a dumb question, but the turn signal is the bottom amber colored lens and the sidemarker is the clear lens next to the headlight right? Cause I'm pretty sure those blink on mine when I use my turn signal. So did you get it for both of those or just the bottom one?
Yep, you are correct for all your questions! I put LEDs in the turn signal and side markers. The turn signal actually takes one 3157 ([url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHTXWQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and one 194 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z08MJHY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The corner light also takes one 194. The ones I got are really bright and look great! I really like the instant on and off of the flashing light for the turn signal!
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Yep, you are correct for all your questions! I put LEDs in the turn signal and side markers. The turn signal actually takes one 3157 ([url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHTXWQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and one 194 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z08MJHY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The corner light also takes one 194. The ones I got are really bright and look great! I really like the instant on and off of the flashing light for the turn signal!
Ahh, I get it. The first link, the 3157, is for the bottom long amber light. The 194 is the side marker one. Both amber. And use the new fuse.

My truck is a utility bed and has the round trailer type bulbs in the rear, canbus type. So will the new relay affect the regular bulb that's back there or should I get rear LEDs as well so the fuse will work. I need to find them actually, I remember putting the rear ones on and it didnt' work cause mine is a brake on-with-headlight/turn signal light and the turn signal didn't work, just always on the ON.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 PM

I'd get the electronic relay if you order the LEDs, but try putting the LEDs in first to see if you have any issues with the flashing lights. If you do, then put in the new relay. If you don't, you can send the relay back!
ericantonio (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:41 AM

I'd get the electronic relay if you order the LEDs, but try putting the LEDs in first to see if you have any issues with the flashing lights. If you do, then put in the new relay. If you don't, you can send the relay back!
Sounds like a plan! And I did find my rear red brake/blinker. It is a canbus type. So I"ll get the 2 pairs of bulbs you go, and the relay so hopefully that'll take care of it all!

Thanks again. I'll update for sure
Old 04-29-2017, 01:38 AM

Got the lights and relay!! But....weird question. Which lights actually BLINK when you turn on the signal? Here's a picture of the light.

When I turn on the left turn signal, #2 goes on/off on/off as expected. I thought #3 is supposed to go off as well?

Also, looks like I need to get a clear bulb for #1. Will the same bulb I got for #3, but in clear work for that?

For the rear light, oh boy, lots of problems. With the new relay, the 3rd light, and license plate lights would blink when turn signal on. So I put back old bulbs. I think I will need to get the the voltage thing for those.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ericantonio
Got the lights and relay!! But....weird question. Which lights actually BLINK when you turn on the signal? Here's a picture of the light.

When I turn on the left turn signal, #2 goes on/off on/off as expected. I thought #3 is supposed to go off as well?

Also, looks like I need to get a clear bulb for #1. Will the same bulb I got for #3, but in clear work for that?

For the rear light, oh boy, lots of problems. With the new relay, the 3rd light, and license plate lights would blink when turn signal on. So I put back old bulbs. I think I will need to get the the voltage thing for those.

On my truck, only #2 flashes with the turn signal. And the bulb in the #1 housing was amber originally, so I used an amber LED.

I have no idea why your's is having the flashing problems, does seem weird that the 3rd bl and lpl would be blinking too! Wish I could be more help!
ericantonio (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:37 AM

On my truck, only #2 flashes with the turn signal.

Ohh okay! Same as mine then. So far so good!

And the bulb in the #1 housing was amber originally, so I used an amber LED.
Well, I'm glad I asked! I just happend to be on Amazon and I have a WHITE LED 194 bulb in my cart!. So you think it's amber? Funny thing is, one side is amber on mine, and other side is white so I'm think I made a mistake one time. That's for the #1 spot.

Do you know the difference between 194 and 192? They both seem the same to me. I got a 192 Amber like the link you provided. So that 192 you think will also work on the #1 position?

I have no idea why your's is having the flashing problems, does seem weird that the 3rd bl and lpl would be blinking too! Wish I could be more help!
No the #1 and #3 are not blinking