Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Another fuel pump/gauge question ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another fuel pump/gauge question ??

I just bought this 89 F150 300 six standard and was told "don't use the rear tank" I'm doing a complete rebuild with the bed off and all. I have no problem replacing the tank an/or pump assemble if that's the problem,which I have no idea if it is or not but did notice the pump was unplugged when taking the bed off.My question is- can the rear tank be removed ,completely, filler hose, and all and make as if it only has 1 tank,remove the wiring ,selector switch and cover the rear filler door. This is my 3rd Ford 150 and if I had 1 complaint it's that Damn 2nd tank.All of my old Fords had some problem with 2 tanks..
Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

It can be very easily removed, lines capped, and go with just the front. The only thing being that even though you removed the 2nd tank the main culprits for issues are still there, the wiring and selector switch. Also if your front pump happens to go out on you I bet you'd wish for that rear tank back, I personally believe the main reason these pumps fail is being run to low on fuel, people tend to run a tank until it sputters then switch over, the tank is empty and the pump has already been sucking more air than fuel for some time. As soon as mine hits the E, or fairly close, I'll switch to the other tank then stop and refill within the next day, cap both tanks off and continue using the one I'm on until hits the E then repeat the process. This way I don't get the tanks too low, always 3 or more gallons left in there and I'm getting fresh gas cycled through both tanks on a rotating basis so nothing has been sitting for very long.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't mind the other tank if I knew exactly what was wrong so if I put a $200 pump/gauge assembly and maybe $100 for a new tank and I'm still not assured thats the problem,I'm not sure where to go from there.There must be a reason Ford did the 2 tank Thang from 87-96 only...
Old 12-15-2014, 04:11 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

There's always a problem with one tank because lazy people don't fix it when it quits because they have another tank.

It's not $200 for the pump, more like $60. Test it and find out what's wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Another fuel pump/gauge question ??