Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

AM/FM/CD radio installation in 1994 Ford F150

Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM/FM/CD radio installation in 1994 Ford F150

Has anyone changed out the stock radio in a 1994 Ford F150 and installed a radio that can play cds? If so, how hard is this to do and what brand did you install? Where can you get a am/fm/cd radio for a 1994 Ford F150?

Thanks,

Gary
Miami Texas
Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM

You can use pretty much any single DIN stereo, make sure you get the installation kit and wiring harness for your specific truck. Here's a stereo I've been looking at for my 2000 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+50...=kdh&cp=1&lp=1 just a suggestion.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 PM

I have this stereo:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ver/KDC-MP345U
Along with this install kit:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metra+-+...=1218118704590

This radio plays CD's, iPod's, etc. It sounds really nice too, one of the best headunits I've had. Only gripe is the USB port is up front, I just ran the iPod cable behind my dash into the glovebox, and it comes up thru the ashtray. At night I take the faceplate in, and tuck the USB cable into the ashtray-- done!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Seeing as my link doesn't work I'll try it this way.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+50...kdhd&cp=1&lp=1
Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '94 F150 has a stock radio that also plays cassettes. I was going to change the radio to get the iPod or iPhone connection and when I was looking around in Walmart I saw one of those cheap cassette adapters with the little mini plug coming out of it. It was right next to the radio removal tool ..Anyway, for a couple of dollars I thought I'd try it (I also bought the removal tool because I thought I'd end up changing the radio). Anyway, I put the cassette adapter in my radio and plugged my iPhone to it. It plays great! the sound is super good and with Pandora radio and other internet music stations like that, I have all the music I want for free!!

I can't play CDs, but that's not a problem since CDs are so outdated anyway (I could play them with a CD/MP3 portable player I have too). Better than satellite radio in my book and I can also play podcasts I save on iTunes and all my mp3's. Another great feature is that there is no nice aftermarket radio for somebody to break into the truck for... Nobody steals OEM radios LOL!! I suggest you try one of those adapters before you spend a lot more money and hassle on a radio. BTW, I might be wrong, but I don't believe they even sell the plug-n-play wiring adapters for our trucks... You gotta hack into the wires
Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by blade z51
My '94 F150 has a stock radio that also plays cassettes. I was going to change the radio to get the iPod or iPhone connection and when I was looking around in Walmart I saw one of those cheap cassette adapters with the little mini plug coming out of it. It was right next to the radio removal tool ..Anyway, for a couple of dollars I thought I'd try it (I also bought the removal tool because I thought I'd end up changing the radio). Anyway, I put the cassette adapter in my radio and plugged my iPhone to it. It plays great! the sound is super good and with Pandora radio and other internet music stations like that, I have all the music I want for free!!

I can't play CDs, but that's not a problem since CDs are so outdated anyway (I could play them with a CD/MP3 portable player I have too). Better than satellite radio in my book and I can also play podcasts I save on iTunes and all my mp3's. Another great feature is that there is no nice aftermarket radio for somebody to break into the truck for... Nobody steals OEM radios LOL!! I suggest you try one of those adapters before you spend a lot more money and hassle on a radio. BTW, I might be wrong, but I don't believe they even sell the plug-n-play wiring adapters for our trucks... You gotta hack into the wires
They do sell the adapters, I used one on my 88. With the front jack you can plug in your ipod/iphone or whatever you want, thats the only way I used my aftermarket stereo in my 88 but there wasn't a cassette to begin with.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken1992
They do sell the adapters, I used one on my 88. With the front jack you can plug in your ipod/iphone or whatever you want, thats the only way I used my aftermarket stereo in my 88 but there wasn't a cassette to begin with.
That's too bad, looks like you need to add a new radio... You might be better off to try and get a OEM radio like mine from a salvage yard. It'll fit right in it will probably be very cheap and you can keep the stock "un-tempting) look...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd rather have a kick *** stereo. You can't live in fear all your life, it's just a truck.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 PM

or just take the faceplate off at night like i do?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by S13minus1
or just take the faceplate off at night like i do?
Thats too simple, I'd rather have an old POS. JK. But yea that's what I would do if I was worried about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AM/FM/CD radio installation in 1994 Ford F150