Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Alright alright alright....new project

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Alright alright alright....new project

I'm picking up a new project. It's a '92 Flareside extended cab 5.0 XLT. It has some issues that need to be corrected.
1) Brake pedal is spongy and right rear locks up on sudden braking. 4 corner brake job is a must.
2) Power windows/locks do not work. Should be a minor job to trace the electrical problem.
3) The cluster bezel is cracked. Easy fix.
4) The steering column cover on the upper section is cracked and duct-taped in place. Should be an easy fix.
5) Heater doesn't blow hot air. Should be easy but time consuming.
6) Stumble off idle with moderate to full throttle. I'm thinking TPS.

Now is the big issue:
7) It starts fine when cold. After a 10 minute neighborhood drive to warm up the engine, once shut off it will not re-start until it cools off. It will crank perfectly fine, but not start. I can hear the pump prime when cycling the key. I have had a '79 act the same way, and that was the module. The mechanic at work is throwing out the possibility of the fuel pump and/or pressure regulators as well.

Once again, I don't have the truck yet. These are the issues I noticed when I looked at it.
I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions as to what may be going on. I'm getting the truck regardless.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Flareside project alright!

I have been looking for one myself for a little over a year. Being very patient for the right one to come along.

As for your no start when warm problem, check for spark when it won't start. That'll at least give you an idea of where to start looking.

Most of the rest looks pretty easy to fix. Keep us posted.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, this didn't go as planned. I took a p/t job so I had the work done for me. Dropped $600 on plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belt, hoses, t-stat, temp sensor, module, and labor. The truck runs perfect now. My niece is engaged, and her fiancé needed a vehicle, so I sold it to him. I still have the '93 reg cab flareside.

Oh well.... I'll get another project soon.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Thumbs up

For me: N/A, I like clean lines and no decals but hey, it's not MY truck, it's yours.

For you: D, cause it really matters only to you, why care what anyone thinks?

IMHO, its easy to 'judge' others when one is jealous cause they can't afford it :P

p.s. I'm a dork, how they hell did my post ended up on this thread! lmao....disregard my statement lol