Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Airflow question

Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airflow question

I just got a 1993 f250 XLT with a 460 auto. I am going to make this thing into a total bogger. Say I disconnect the OE airbox and hoses until there's nothing hooked up to the throttle body. I am thinking of buying some rubber hoses that fit the throttle body, and sticking them into a bigger hose (about 6+ inches in diameter), cutting a hole on the drivers side of the hood right next to the edge, and running this giant flexible pipe on the corner of the windshield (so it doesn't block anything) up along the corner of the roof, down the back drivers corner of the cab, and completely through the rear wheel fender and leaving it there with some clamps. Is this a good spot for the hose to suck air from? It would be lifted a ridiculous amount (like 20+ inches) so it wouldn't ever touch ground or water.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Boiler Maker

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Why run it all the way to the wheel well when you could terminate it above the cab safely?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 AM

I prefer the end of it to be out of sight.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Boiler Maker

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Canbydip
I prefer the end of it to be out of sight.
Then why do the job at all? Why move the air intake from front left to rear left wheel well? Seens like a waste
Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

If your going bogging, it would look and perform allot better run out of the driver's side fender and terminated and the top of the cab. Your going to soak your filter in the bed or in a fender well and no diameter pipe is going to compensate for a soaked filter. If you cut your hood, your going to lose rigidity and will need to weld some bracing in and look totally, well, I don't want to sound mean or smart ***, but it'll look like crap compared to a properly fabbed snorkel. You could spend $500 on a prefab snorkel kit or build a decent looking setup for less than what your planning on tubing now. You need to do your 2 into 1 and measure the length length that your wanting to go either way. I'd pull the hood off prior to cutting anything, attach your pvc or abs snorkel with your desired length and do some test runs. Your going to add restriction with every bend which needs to be compensated with tubing diameter. If your run corrugated tubing, your going to add allot more restriction and will need to add considerably more diameter to compensate for turbulence which will decrease air flow. A short run of smooth bore pvc or abs is your best bet for smooth, adequate air flow. I did a snorkel on an mid 80's model S-10 Blazer 4x4 with a 350 conversion and did the driver's side fender exit to the top of the roof. I used a 4" hole saw to drill the fender from out side in and ran 4" abs pipe into the engine compartment where it attached to the intake hose. Mounted a 90 flush with the fender and ran along the fender edge to the window post, put in a 45 and ran up to the roof where we used another 45 and attached the stock air filter box as our filter housing attached to the roof rack. The black abs almost looked like one of the high dollar kits and the stock air box looked cool and function great in that location. The ABS was lighter weight than the pvc and was black. A little mineral spirits and the white lettering on the abs came right off for a totally black finish. We had allot of problems since the little s-10 didn't like the dash and interior submerged up to the steering wheel. Constant electrical problems, but the intake stayed dry. Allot of dielectric grease on the distributor, spark plugs, coil and fuse box, silicon and spray foam on all of the fire wall access holes, new rubber door trims and we could submerge the new submarine up to the door handles where the water started seeping in. If it got up to the windows, it flooded pretty quick. I used to have pics, but my old computer died and took the hard drive with it. We did the snorkel and sealing for less than $100, mostly for the sealing products, and my buddy's Dad bought the new door trims.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:56 PM

That makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Could I possibly fit a super fine screen over the end of the pipe to make sure that it filters out any contaminants, or would that decrease airflow even further? As for bends, the design I have in my head didn't have any bends (except the one where it comes out of the hood) anyway. The link below shows different sizes of black abs pipe that I want to use. Preferably one of the last two on the left.

http://www.pondkoi.com/images/flexible_pvc-FP-sizes.jpg
Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

I think it would be allot cheaper to use regular abs plumbing pipe. I've used flexible pvc on atv snorkels and it's not made for any kind of tight bends and is real hard to work with in any kind of hard to reach area. You could run a cone filter on the abs pipe with a prefilter over it that sheds water away from it and not lose enough flow to notice. An even cheaper route that works is to use a knee high stocking and spray it with scotchguard to shed water away. Just carry an extra with you to change out if you get it too drenched or coated with mud. If It was me, I'd use my stock air box with the intake facing the rear and a K&N or other washable filter. I hate pvc flex pipe with a passion and it costs too much compared to abs. Don't know how you plan on running it, but your original design had several more bends in it. Just because your a red neck, as am I doesn't mean you gotta run a setup that looks red neck. Take your time and set it up with abs. Oh, and don't use glue on your connections, use a heavy grease. That way you can disassemble at will and clean it out from time to time and still keep a good air seal. Regardless of the filter, when your constantly in the dirt, your gonna get it in your intake. I still say you can use your original box, an 8ft piece of 4" abs, a 90, and a couple of 45's, some zip ties and walk out with less than $40 invested. Drill your fender hole, touch up the edged with whatever paint to prevent rust, drill you a hole at the cab gutter for some black zip ties to secure the air box and touch up with paint and secure everything. Just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM

Oh no i wasnt planning on just going out and buying some pipe and sticking it in then hoping it works, I want it to actually work and thats why I brought it to the forums to gain insight from others who have experience with this kind of stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airflow question