Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Air Intake Mod - Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Obey Propaganda!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Intake Mod - Video

I came across this video and was thinking about doing this on my truck. I understand the concept, but wouldn't you be sucking in more hot air by doing this?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Sorry this is all I got
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Obey Propaganda!

Originally Posted by '88F150CountryBoy
Sorry this is all I got
Ahaha, yes.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Mechanicalmike08

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dude that guy is an idiot first off all yes that would be sucking in hot air as soon as the engines hot. the only reason he might have seen some increase is becasue its sucking in more air than just from that small snorkle. second of all that is not a true dual system, from what i can see all he did was atach a glass back to the pipe after the y pipe. so there your gona see an increase in power and mpg's becasue its breathering better on both ends but you dont want all that hot air.

on the other hand seeing this gives me some cool ideas for a hood scoop and real ram air idea. if you want to free up some hp by getting a cold air intake take a look at my thread
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/check-...get-you-60213/
Old 11-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Obey Propaganda!

Originally Posted by Mechanicalmike08
dude that guy is an idiot first off all yes that would be sucking in hot air as soon as the engines hot. the only reason he might have seen some increase is becasue its sucking in more air than just from that small snorkle. second of all that is not a true dual system, from what i can see all he did was atach a glass back to the pipe after the y pipe. so there your gona see an increase in power and mpg's becasue its breathering better on both ends but you dont want all that hot air.

on the other hand seeing this gives me some cool ideas for a hood scoop and real ram air idea. if you want to free up some hp by getting a cold air intake take a look at my thread
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/check-...get-you-60213/
That's what I was thinking, bro.

Anyways, thanks for the link! Looks pretty sweet.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 PM

I agree with mechanical mike. Anytime you see a 'ram air' system by K&N its basically the same thing. Big conical filter but super short intake tube. You will get more hp and effiecency by have a longer tube and colder air.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 AM

actually. its not just a single glass pack attached behind the y pipe, its a y pipe that was cut and welded into duals. there is another glass pack stuffed above the cross member on the drivers side of the truck. i just didnt think i would have to film it. also it does suck in hot air. but it does breath better than stock. but i did notice she was happier after i lost the rubber seal that seals the hood and did a little drift trick, and added a couple washers onto the hinges to lift the back of the hood to allow a cross flow of air. i did that on my 84 corolla.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Absolutely right. You have removed the snorkel that the engineers designed to allow cool air to flow from the high-pressure area in front of the radiator so you can open the inlet by a few cubic inches in a hot low pressure environment. Not to mention that the throttle body that regulates the air flow is smaller than the opening therefore removing any possible gain. You may have noticed a difference when you removed the hood seal because you dropped the engine bay temperature. Which again is what the snorkle does. I'm sure that areodynamic wing above the windshield is good for a few ponies too. Automotive engineers study physics. Pulling parts off and turning them upside-down is rarely helpful.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 AM

just like the same engineers will drop power and some fuel economy to reduce emissions. take the PCV for instance, its all fine and dandy, but having the oil mist it gives off sucked into the intake tract isnt that helpful, the oil reduces the octane of your fuel and also can build up carbon on the intake tract as it cooks on. also the EGR, works great for reducing emissions, but sucks *** at anything else. all its good for is taking half burnt exhaust fumes and forcing them back into the intake tract. those engineers you speak fondly of are more concerned with emissions than anything else, and losing some of the stuff they got paid crap tons of money to design can make a differnce. and a freer breathing engine is a happier engine. it doesnt matter if the intake charge is a bit warmer than normal, as long as its getting more air. a 10 degree increase in the intake charge equals a 1% decrees in air density. so raising the intake air charge by even 40 degrees is negated by the fact that the intake has a 40% larger air inlet.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

You are still forgetting that the throttle body is the same size and smaller than the opening. And one more time you are now taking from a low pressure instead of high. That makes for less air and lower velocity and higher tempuratures. If you keep the filter clean the pcv oil won't get into your intake. The egr lowers the tempature of the exhaust to keep it from creating nox. You know the exhaust stuff that kills you. Thisi s why people like me dor example go to college to study what the systems actually do not just what other people think they do. There was an alternative to the egr. It's called diesel. That was the only way at the time that the government would allow an engine without emissions controlls. The designers simply came up with a way to solve a problem and meet standards. By the way those same people have eliminated the need for egr or pvc in the new engines. And in the process increased fuel efficiency, power ,torque greatly reduced emissions and created a nearly flat power curve. But we should probably remove the system and put a set of points in. By the way its only 40 degrees hotter in your engine bay next to the exhaust manifold than outside air? Where do you live Mars?

Last edited by Warlockk; 08-16-2011 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Mod - Video