Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

About to pull the trigger on an F150 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About to pull the trigger on an F150 purchase

And I need some sage advice. I'm looking specifically at 2 trucks that are in my general vicinity. Both in the $4K range.

1st is an 86 F150 Lariat std cab/short bed. 251K miles with <24K on the rebuilt 302. OG trans and diff, but suspension/brakes/tires/A-C components, etc are new. New paint and interior as well. Well maintained and always a South Carolina truck.

2nd is a 93 Lightning. 142K miles. Rebuilt upper end (1.7 roller rockers) and A-C. Everything else is OG. Appears to be very clean, well maintained and again, always a South Carolina truck.

Neither will ever be used for heavy duty service and my desire is to moderately lower whichever one I buy. The 86 is more costly (Dream beam), while the 93 is springs and shocks.

Pro's, con's on either/both? My experience is with a 50 F1 resto mod and a 52 F1 old skool big block rod.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Dream beams will give you 3 inches, on the Lightning they will give you 2 because it sits lower than a standard F150.

My brother is a VW guy. I don't know what's the matter with him. lol
Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the lightning, it's limited edition, first year built, and it's more mod-able(Engine wise atleast).
Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM

i would go with the lightning i love thoes first lightnings they just seem 0.0 !! awsome for some reason
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken1992
Go with the lightning, it's limited edition, first year built, and it's more mod-able(Engine wise atleast).
Originally Posted by 150guy
i would go with the lightning i love thoes first lightnings they just seem 0.0 !! awsome for some reason
Me too
Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the 86, check real good for rust repair such as the amount of bondo around the rear fenders, bed corners and cab corners.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:26 PM
96 black and tan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my truck, it was between a 95 Lightning and my 96 eddie bauer. Both are limited editions, but if I had $2k more, I would have got the Lightning. I still think about it to this day. Depending on your funds, I'd say go with the Lightning.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I leaned towards the Lightning but by the time I got there someone else had snuck in under me. I won't start a rant, but when you say to someone you'll hold it till "xxx time" and you arrive before that specified time and the item has already been sold; well, that just burns me

That said, and needing a truck, I cruised up on the road and bought the 86 F150. Low balled him so we dickered abit but I got it for $3600, not $4000. Initial impressions; a nice, clean truck that seems to run real good. I'll try and get some pictures posted up this weekend.

Diamond plate tool box...gone. Any one local want it?

Truck style side moirrors....gone. Already ordered standard door mirrors from LMC

Will need advice on removal and low cost replacement of the EFI. Want that gone and replaced with intake and carb. Good used would be fine. Anyone with a useable carb and intake for a 302 just lying around want to trade for the above mentioned tool box and old EFI?

While perusing eBay I found a set of Dream Beam wannabees from a company called Canuck Motorsports. They sell a lowering "kit" with beams and rear shackles for a couple hundred less than DJM. They have a good rating and ship cheaply to the states. Anyone have any experience with them? Any backyard mechanics in South Carolina want to tackle this job for a few extra bucks??

Again, thanks for any/all input. I'm sure I'll be a frequent poster.

Now where's that supporting member botton
Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I just don't understand why some people are so prejudiced against fuel injection. Why not trade your cell phone for a pager? Because it's a dumb idea.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
I just don't understand why some people are so prejudiced against fuel injection. Why not trade your cell phone for a pager? Because it's a dumb idea.
i can see where people are coming from wanting to change from fuel injected to carboureated because they are in a sense easier to work on but at the same time for the money you spend to change all that stuff over you can probably have put the money towards other things on the vehicle and have a good running vehicle for the same price.

and btw i would never trade my cell phone for a beeper

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on an F150 purchase