Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

96 f150 slips into neutral when in passing gear?

Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f150 slips into neutral when in passing gear?

I have a 96 f150 4x4 with a 302. It has the 4r70w transmission and runs and drive good except for the slipping. It happens when driving down the rd in over drive. It will pull good until starting up a hill or anything and the truck shifts into a lower gear and acts like you put it in neutral. If I let off the gas and mash it to manually shift it down it will downshift and take off. Iv changed torque converter rebuilt valve body and changed TCC solenoid and nothing is helping
Old 02-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

You haven't told us anything about the truck's maintenance or repair history. WHY did you change those parts, and when in relation to the appearance of this symptom? How many miles on the truck, the trans, the fluid, & filter? What brand & type fluid? Did you buy the truck new?

It might simply be time for the trans to be rebuilt.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

At the end of this last summer my 95 with the 4r70w started having the neutral shift problem. My solution was a remanufactured valve body from Sonnax. The transmission shifts flawlessly now. Rebuilding and upgrading the valve body seemed like a job better left to professionals. If I had rebuilt it myself and still had problems I couldn't guarantee the job was done properly. From my understanding if some of the passages are worn too much the core might need replacement.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 AM

Received 485 Likes on 420 Posts

I would suggest having someone knowing transmissions take a look at it right away and turn off the OD in the meantime.The longer you drive it slipping this way, will likely do it in.Don't guess around and go messing with the valve body on a suggestion. Could be half dozen other things too.

Last edited by raski; 02-04-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 AM

I bought the truck about six months ago with a bad transmission so I bought a used transmission with less than 100,000 miles on it I took it to the transmission shop and had them look through it and make sure everything was OK the wiring harness plug was broke so they had to pull the valve body to replace it while I was in there they claim to everything and put new gaskets they told me to buy a new torque converter to be positive that I had a good one so I put the transmission in and it has had this problem since day one it was throwing a torque converter circuit code so I took it back and they told me to replace the Tcc solenoid. They drove the truck and told me that that sensor should fix the problem that there was nothing wrong inside the transmission so I replaced the sensor and it didn’t change anything I ordered a shift solenoid and the other solenoid and I’m going to change them to see if the problem will be fixed via the transmission shops judgement on telling me to change them. I used dex merc
Old 02-04-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

it sounds like the used transmission you bought ain't worth a sh*t
Old 02-05-2019, 12:22 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

...and the shop that did the work isn't standing behind their diagnosis, work, or claim that it was in good shape. I'd find another shop to check it out, but don't expect them to do it free, or to warrant anything they say unless you pay for a full rebuild.

And "dex/merc" isn't a brand - it's a vague type of ATF. If you just used cheap parts-store-brand dex/merc, that could by why the trans is going out. Use only MotorCraft MerconV in these trucks. Read this & the NEXT few captions:

(phone app link)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
...and the shop that did the work isn't standing behind their diagnosis, work, or claim that it was in good shape. I'd find another shop to check it out, but don't expect them to do it free, or to warrant anything they say unless you pay for a full rebuild.

And "dex/merc" isn't a brand - it's a vague type of ATF. If you just used cheap parts-store-brand dex/merc, that could by why the trans is going out. Use only MotorCraft MerconV in these trucks. Read this & the NEXT few captions:

(phone app link)

i used castrol transmax dex merc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 f150 slips into neutral when in passing gear?