Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 F150 Has Very Bad Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 95 F150 Has Very Bad Power Loss

95 F150
5 speed
145,000 miles

I have been noticing a pretty bad power loss over the last week or so. Seems to be getting worse. I have trouble getting to 35 mph now. It feels like it runs normal, just seems like the engine is working really hard. I have seen the check engine light come on once for a minute, then shut off. I am hearing a weird noise that is hard to describe. It almost sounds like air is being forced from somewhere around the exhaust area by the cat. I only hear the noise when accelerating and it goes with engine speed. I can sometimes hear it when I rev it, but not as bad. I almost thought it was a vacuum leak, but does not have the same noise as a broken line. I also disconnected a line and the idle went up, so i am assuming it isn't a vacuum leak. I am kind of leaning towards a plugged cat, but want to hear other opinions.

I couldn't find my vacuum guage, so I can't test that right now. I took temp readings on the cat a few minutes after shutting the truck off and the outlet was about 50 deg cooler than the inlet.

Anyone know of a good source for a bolt in cat if I do need one?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Read sticky...
Pull codes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dan2286
95 F150 4.9 5 speed 145,000 miles I have been noticing a pretty bad power loss over the last week or so. Seems to be getting worse. I have trouble getting to 35 mph now. It feels like it runs normal, just seems like the engine is working really hard. I have seen the check engine light come on once for a minute, then shut off. I am hearing a weird noise that is hard to describe. It almost sounds like air is being forced from somewhere around the exhaust area by the cat. I only hear the noise when accelerating and it goes with engine speed. I can sometimes hear it when I rev it, but not as bad. I almost thought it was a vacuum leak, but does not have the same noise as a broken line. I also disconnected a line and the idle went up, so i am assuming it isn't a vacuum leak. I am kind of leaning towards a plugged cat, but want to hear other opinions. I couldn't find my vacuum guage, so I can't test that right now. I took temp readings on the cat a few minutes after shutting the truck off and the outlet was about 50 deg cooler than the inlet. Anyone know of a good source for a bolt in cat if I do need one?
I had a plugged cat and it did the same thing. But luckily I don't have emissions here so I just had it hollowed out and it actually ran a lot better afterwards.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

It does sound like a plugged cat, I would advise replacing it even if you are "lucky" and don't technically need to have it.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Pulled the codes.
First test-522
Second test-179, 334
Third test-111

Found the noise. It is air leaking out from bad welds before the cat.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Pulled the codes. First test-522 Second test-179, 334 Third test-111 Found the noise. It is air leaking out from bad welds before the cat.
522 is vehicle not in park or neutral during KOEO
179 is HEGO (HO2S) sensor fault unable to switch/ rich during part throttle.
334 is EGR closed valve voltage high
111 is system pass.

Fix everything in the order the codes appeared.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:25 AM

Just ordered a service manual to help diagnose this stuff. If it does have a clogged cat, I am worried about what caused it. It just seems wierd because the truck has been running good before this and has been getting good fuel economy. I would think if something was wrong to cause the cat to melt, the truck would have gone into limp mode or something. Hopefully its just old age.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Just ordered a service manual to help diagnose this stuff. If it does have a clogged cat, I am worried about what caused it. It just seems wierd because the truck has been running good before this and has been getting good fuel economy. I would think if something was wrong to cause the cat to melt, the truck would have gone into limp mode or something. Hopefully its just old age.
My truck was running awesome then all of a sudden no power. I had to put my pedal to the floor to get it to go 30 mph. Wouldn't idle without me pressing the gas. Just old age in my case man.

Quick Reply: 95 F150 Has Very Bad Power Loss