Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 F150 Bad hesitation with acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 F150 Bad hesitation with acceleration

I just bought a 95 F150 4x4 with a 302. It starts fine and idles fine like nothing is wrong. When you give it gas to accelerate it takes several seconds to begin to accelerate. Once it picks up and accelerates a little it will clear up and run fine. Then if you hold a steady pedal for a few seconds and try to accelerate again it will do the same thing. Any time you accelerate it takes a few seconds to really pick up and go. Sometimes it takes several mph before it really clears up and accelerates well. What is the most likely problem.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar issue, my problem was the fuel pressure regulator. It's on the fuel rail ill attach a picture, I also changed my fuel filter with helped a bunch. To test the fuel pressure regulator pull the vacuum line off of it and if any fuel come out the diaphragm is bad in it. Possibly spit or something. it is most likely time to replace. But start with the simple fixes like cleaning the throttle body. And checking your air filter. Seems dumb but I have seen some so dirty that it makes the car act like that. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to test fuel pressure, your problem seems like it may be a fuel issue. Or a sensor, tps, map, or iac. Be sure to pull codes also. I'm not and expert but it's good to check everything anyway. Always could be something small. Or over looked. In the picture it's the silver thing with the black hose attached to the top.
Attached Thumbnails 95 F150 Bad hesitation with acceleration-image-651633498.jpg  
Old 03-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This should wake it up

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/nos-02462nos
Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94f150-5.0
Haha
Old 03-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Check all those things mentioned above. I'd start with the tps (throttle position sensor). You can check it with a voltmeter, the proper voltage range is posted online somewhere, it should rise or fall gradually and evenly as you open and close your throttle. Worth a try, costs nothing if you have a voltmeter. most of the sensors can be tested that way. And a fuel pressure tester is another very good investment.
The test equipment and some research will save you a lot of money (spent throwing parts at a problem)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate everyone. I just got the truck and have never owned a ford or worked on one. I havent had time to do much yet except change the fuel and air filters. the fuel pressure regulator looks new but i still will check it. Also i found the Intake air temp sensor is unplugged and i couldnt find the plug for it. I know its there somewhere but didnt have much time to look for it.

Quick Reply: 95 F150 Bad hesitation with acceleration