Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'95 4.9 4x4 XLT Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Question '95 4.9 4x4 XLT Issues

Hey guys and gals. Usually I post and spend my time in the '04-'08 section, but I'm currently taking a look at my buddy's '95. It's got 115K miles, ext. cab, 4x4, XLT, A/C, and the V8 5.0 motor. Here are some issues, not sure where to start.

#1. Radiator and Coolant. A couple years ago, the original radiator sprung a leak. We replaced it with an OEM radiator (plastic tank), new thermostat, and a good flush. A month later, new radiator gets a cracked tank, so we took it back and got another one. Drove with that one for about 6 months, and the same thing happened! SO, he bought a nice all aluminum radiator. Ran that one for about a year, and now that one is leaking! What is going on here? Head gasket allowing too much pressure into the coolant system and wrecking radiators?

#2. Driving issue: When driving along, suddenly it will "bog down". If you kick down the gas, it will take a second, then the motor will rev up like it should, then the tranny will shift and away you go. Right after this happens, the check engine light will come on and stay on for about 2-3 minutes, then go off. After another 3 minutes, the process will happen again. I need to get the codes read, I don't have the old style reader. Just seems like an odd issue.

Work done on truck: Rear fuel pump (front still is bad), fuel filter, 3 Radiators, thermostat, multiple coolant flushes (Wasn't chunky or anything, just a little rusty)
-Oil seems to "disappear", possibly burning some, definitely leaking some while it runs. About 2 qts per tank of gas...

Last edited by besel53; 05-21-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

#1 - Sounds like you are on the right track - a pressure test would be the first thing to do - but a bad head gasket can definitely cause those problems, Losing oil is another tell-tale sign.
#2 - Check the top of this forum for a sticky thread on how to pull codes with a paper clip. Or invest $25 in an innova 3145 code reader. In-valuable tool for these trucks. The codes should at least point you in the right direction.
The following users liked this post:
besel53 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
#1 - Sounds like you are on the right track - a pressure test would be the first thing to do - but a bad head gasket can definitely cause those problems, Losing oil is another tell-tale sign.
#2 - Check the top of this forum for a sticky thread on how to pull codes with a paper clip. Or invest $25 in an innova 3145 code reader. In-valuable tool for these trucks. The codes should at least point you in the right direction.
For pressure test do you mean a block pressure test? I have never done that before. Will have to look into how to do it. We did check the codes by counting flashes before, but I can't remember what it was kicking out.
Not sure what he wants to do with the truck. May just sell the thing cheap. Has good tires and brakes anyway, lol.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 PM

I mispoke on the engine type, the truck has the 5.0 V8. I edited it in the original post. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

No, the head gasket doesn't set the coolant system pressure - the radiator cap does. Has the original cap been tested? This is the correct replacement:

(phone app link)
The following users liked this post:
besel53 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
No, the head gasket doesn't set the coolant system pressure - the radiator cap does. Has the original cap been tested? This is the correct replacement:

(phone app link)
I thought about that too, you would think the cap would blow before radiator would. Here's what I think the issue was:
-I know the heater core leaks as well, figured that out by filling up the system and running until the thermostat opened. My guess is that the loss of fluid created air pockets, and since my friend didn't take care of it, (he just added antifreeze from time to time), the superheated hot pockets of air wrecked the radiator. (May also be the reason the heater core failed)
-I'm starting to think the loss of power issue may be transmission related. If I leave from a stoplight, it's like it's in 4th gear and bogs way down. If I shift it to 1, then 2, then D, I don't get the issue. Also, the OD off button doesn't do anything.
-Still haven't read the codes. Wondering if it will even show up since it goes off right away.

I don't know. Just thought I would try to fix a couple things, but he's just going to dump it and sell it cheap I think.

Last edited by besel53; 05-23-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: '95 4.9 4x4 XLT Issues