Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

95 302 Ign & Timing Upgrade Report & ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Default 95 302 Ign & Timing Upgrade Report & ?

Just got this done this weekend. Last weekend seafoamed (lots of smoke) and changed the oil (conventional as I had 5 qts already paid for), oil filter and O2 sensor.
-Coil MSD-5527, tried to get the low ohm ACCEL but out of stock and expected delivery not until end of Aug.
-Wires ACC-7054 Accel 300+ (<=150 ohms/ft) 8.8mm insulation
-CAP MSD-8408 (should've of ordered the cap & rotor kit MSD-84085) but now have a rotor on order, but that was a $15.00 + time screw up.
-Plugs Motorcraft cheaps, sidegapped and set for 0.50 (maybe need to set these different but couldn't find details on setting these with the ignition upgrade) Read through 40 pages of the FullSizeBronco thread on the ignition upgrade and didn't find mention of side gapping. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592

Could not set the timing, never done it on a vehicle, but done it a few times to get RPM on an electric motor. The EQU-3551 timing light had an arrow that said plug on the inductive pickup and was clamped around the #1 plug per the arrow in the direction to the plug. SPOUT was pulled as well and still couldn't get reading. Sandpapered, wire brushed and painted the timing markers, still couldn't get a read. I was about to give up and thought, maybe the directional arrow is wrong, re-hooked up the inductive pickup wiith the arrow pointing away from the plug and could read timing plain as day....UGGGH!

-Set to ~13.5 BTC, first and only run was a definite improvement, but pinged just a touch when I floored it going uphill, then realized after the fact that the truck wasn't warmed up yet. Once warmed up couldn't get it to ping again, but need to run it a bit more.
-Definite improvement from a stop. Not burning rubber, but before was a sluggish start and now it definitely takes off.

Will post more results as they come available

With side gapped plugs and the ignition upgrade what is the 'recommended' gap?

Last edited by gwpfan; 08-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
WOOF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get the gap to .056- if you had gotten lower ohm stuff, you could get .060
Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Ok typically running 12.9 to 13.2 mpg. Last fill up on both tanks after completely running on overall upgrade was 14.9 mpg with 87 octane.

Need to back off the timing just a touch as I've noticed a slight ping consistently on one particular hill on my way home. Wasn't sure I was hearing it for awhile, but I verified it Thursday and Friday. Probably do this tonight.

Even w/o the MPG gain, this upgrade was worth it. The added power is really nice. Looking at the y pipe and hi cap cat back upgrade next.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by gwpfan
Ok typically running 12.9 to 13.2 mpg. Last fill up on both tanks after completely running on overall upgrade was 14.9 mpg with 87 octane.

Need to back off the timing just a touch as I've noticed a slight ping consistently on one particular hill on my way home. Wasn't sure I was hearing it for awhile, but I verified it Thursday and Friday. Probably do this tonight.

Even w/o the MPG gain, this upgrade was worth it. The added power is really nice. Looking at the y pipe and hi cap cat back upgrade next.
All you had to do is ask!

http://www.performanceunlimited.com/...degapping.html

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/timing...ap-info-44854/

The Accel had some sweet specs. But the coil you have has some more gap for you regardless. 50 Ohm/ft wires would also helped max your gap, but will still allow more gap than that too. Brass cap & rotor right? This set up will eat a stock set for lunch.

Did you clear the KAM after replaceing the O2?
Toss a bottle of lucas in you gas to improve fuel atomization.

& I bet another Seafoam treatment would help, but just work w/ w/ it the way it is for the time being. Give the residuals from the last treatment time to completely burn off first.

Check your warm Idle RPM (advance should be done also at norm op temp). Sometime it creeps up when you do the advancement. If it does, it will hinder how much you will be able to advance w/o ping. There's a procedure to fix that if it occurs. A 750-800 rpm warm idle will cost you a couple of degrees of advance to avoid ping.

The amount of noticeable performance improvement w/ the hi capacity single cat may only be subtle, unless your replacing a setup that's become somewhat restricted, but you'll definitely notice a difference in exhaust tone.

Last edited by ymeski56; 08-23-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ymeski56
Brass cap & rotor right?
Yep.
Did you clear the KAM after replaceing the O2?
Not specificially. 5 minutes with the battery disconnected is all that it requires? I may have done this inadvertently when I did the ignition upgrade the following weekend.

Check your warm Idle RPM (advance should be done also at norm op temp). Sometime it creeps up when you do the advancement. If it does, it will hinder how much you will be able to advance w/o ping. There's a procedure to fix that if it occurs. A 750-800 rpm warm idle will cost you a couple of degrees of advance to avoid ping.
I noticed my RPM at idle was up initially, but at times I see it back down to the 800 levels while warm, like last week at the TACO Bell drive through. Will you explain this more?

The amount of noticeable performance improvement w/ the hi capacity single cat may only be subtle, unless your replacing a setup that's become somewhat restricted, but you'll definitely notice a difference in exhaust tone.
I am not after tone, but according to the full size bronco thread on this there were substantial improvements made by the cat back upgrade. I can't find the link right now, it's on my home PC. I know I am not too restrictive, so if that's the case then maybe the cat back isn't worth it?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=gwpfan;575534]Yep.

Not specificially. 5 minutes with the battery disconnected is all that it requires? I may have done this inadvertently when I did the ignition upgrade the following weekend.
5 minutes.

I noticed my RPM at idle was up initially, but at times I see it back down to the 800 levels while warm, like last week at the TACO Bell drive through. Will you explain this more?
Norm op temp idle for a 302 is supposed to be 650-675 RPM. Where you at 800 + warm idle RPM at 10BTDC?

I am not after tone, but according to the full size bronco thread on this there were substantial improvements made by the cat back upgrade. I can't find the link right now, it's on my home PC. I know I am not too restrictive, so if that's the case then maybe the cat back isn't worth it? Not saying it's not worth it. It's just that what a good increase is, as opposed to a great one, is subjective. The one man's ceiling/ floor thing. I was happy w/ mine. But my cats were pooched & the single hi cap was actually less expensive than replacing the duel set. anything over 3psi back-pressure qualifies as restricted.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 AM

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...+Y-pipe&page=2
See post 28 and 29 and then there are more after that. My front cat is only partially there. It seems numerous individuals were pretty impressed with the cat back upgrade....any other thoughts? Ymeski - did you do the exhaust pipe size upgrade?

Truck had about 350 lbs of extra weight that was unloaded at the recycling place, and since then it hasn't pinged. I know I need to adjust yet, but long work days lately.

I'll check my idle and get back.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by gwpfan
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...+Y-pipe&page=2
See post 28 and 29 and then there are more after that. My front cat is only partially there. It seems numerous individuals were pretty impressed with the cat back upgrade....any other thoughts? Ymeski - did you do the exhaust pipe size upgrade?

Truck had about 350 lbs of extra weight that was unloaded at the recycling place, and since then it hasn't pinged. I know I need to adjust yet, but long work days lately.

I'll check my idle and get back.
The first time, the shop did not upsize. (I should have checked). Cat lasted about 2 yrs & the cat was pooched. Went back, mad as hell. Shop had new owners! They did do the size upgrade & replaced the Cat for $75. Could have been worse. 4 years w/ this set up. Recent smog test results very good, so all is well now. Point is, you have to increase pipe size for the full effect & if you don't premature Cat failure will be in your future too!

Quick Reply: 95 302 Ign & Timing Upgrade Report & ?