Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

94 f150 dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 94 f150 dies while driving

ok ive had numerous problems with this truck lately but this is the one thats most troubling at the moment. i have a 300ci I6 and this is the 2nd engine thats been in the truck. last month i was driving along and the truck just shut off like i turned off the key.i tried to start it again and it would turn normally but not fully start. after 2 hours of trying it started again i took it to a friends shop and it threw codes for bad distributor so i replaced the whole unit. no fix. sometimes it will run fine all day and sometimes it wont even start in the morning. sometimes it will start and die after 5 miles sometimes 50. im clueless at this point

At the same time im losing oil presure. i think this is a separate issue but sence i know there is a shaft that runs from the dist to the oil pump. i thought id throw it in.
the oil pressure gage would jump back and forth then i had no pressure so i did and oil change and it was ok for about 10 minutes of driving then started again. so i emptied out all the oil and filled the pan with carborator dip. i was told it would break up the gunk on the screen of the oil pump. It did just that and now i have good pressure again but still the electrical problem

Ive checked the ignition fuses there all good Ive checked the battery wire/terminals and there fine. I'm at a dead end Ive spent hours searching and cent figure it out any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont have money to waste throwing parts at it or taking it into a shop

after doing some forum searching ive come across that this could be the crank/cam senor or the maf sensor if anoy of these sound correct please note

Last edited by canc3r; 05-28-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: research
Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

I doubt it, w/o a corresponding error codes. They will tell on themselves. The TFI module is a different story. Have your TFI module bench tested. Not w/o exception, but KOEO scans tell you about stuff that will keep you from starting. KOER scans tell you why it's running like **** after it starts.

Last edited by ymeski56; 05-26-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM

i followed the steps in the haynes guide to check power to the coil and im barley getting anything so im thinking theres a short somewhere in the wiring harness any idea how i can trace that?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM

bump
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Custom User Title

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .02; has the fuel pump been making any odd/loud noises?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Square
My .02; has the fuel pump been making any odd/loud noises?
for some reason everyone keeps saying the fuel pump ... the fuel pumps are fine on both tanks ... the issue here is spark not fuel ... and no both pumps sound normal to answer your non related question

also at this point the truck have a new tfi modual a new coil and a new distributor.

i just did a voltage test on the coil supply plug and its on 8.5v coming from pos side. this seems off. it should be 12v right?

Last edited by canc3r; 05-28-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 PM

bump
Old 05-28-2010, 05:23 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

My coil harness splice came apart and the coil stopped getting power. You just have to trace it back through the harness.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Custom User Title

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canc3r
for some reason everyone keeps saying the fuel pump ... the fuel pumps are fine on both tanks ... the issue here is spark not fuel ... and no both pumps sound normal to answer your non related question
Everyone keeps saying it because what you described are the same symptoms you get when a fuel pump is going out. So technically, it is a related question. Dont ask questions when you dont want answers.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Square
Everyone keeps saying it because what you described are the same symptoms you get when a fuel pump is going out. So technically, it is a related question. Dont ask questions when you dont want answers.
..... as far as everyone in the world is concerned you dont need fuel to produce spark

Quick Reply: 94 f150 dies while driving