Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'94 F150 5.0 No-Start (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:32 PM
0BS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 F150 5.0 No-Start (Help)

So when I turn the key to run, I can hear the fuel pump prime and something "clunk" but the engine does not turn over. I have to fiddle around with the steering wheel and keep trying to turn the key and manouever the steering wheel for it to start. Once it starts it runs like a dream, but sometimes it can take 10+ mins for the truck to start. Once it gets going for the day it's fine, could it be a bad ignition switch, bad lock cylinder? Need any help I can get here, just want the truck to be turn-key and go. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by 0BS
So when I turn the key to run, I can hear the fuel pump prime and something "clunk" but the engine does not turn over. I have to fiddle around with the steering wheel and keep trying to turn the key and manouever the steering wheel for it to start. Once it starts it runs like a dream, but sometimes it can take 10+ mins for the truck to start. Once it gets going for the day it's fine, could it be a bad ignition switch, bad lock cylinder? Need any help I can get here, just want the truck to be turn-key and go. Thanks!
What do you mean by clunk? Will it crank but not start? Does it start fine when warm?

Last edited by BLDTruth; 06-01-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 PM
0BS

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
What do you mean by clunk? Will it crank but not start?
It won't even crank, when I turn the key to RUN all I get is a clunk noise. Until the truck decides it wants to start. I will take a video tomorrow morning if it does it again but once it gets running it runs fine.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Check your battery connections - I'd bet a beer you have a bad connection on at least one of them.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 PM
0BS

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Check your battery connections - I'd bet a beer you have a bad connection on at least one of them.
Just wirebrushed my negative, was a little crusty on the cable but it's a brand new battery. Positive was fine but still brushed that off. Battery was the first thing that came to my mind as well but Ill let you know how it starts up in the morning. Thanks. And I'm expecting a 40 pack in the mail if it don't start right up, video coming in the morning lol
Old 06-01-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this sounds stupid don’t be upset I’m only 17 and have limited electrical experience but does the ignition have a ground that could be loose?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:19 PM
0BS

Originally Posted by ShortbedSinglecab
If this sounds stupid don’t be upset I’m only 17 and have limited electrical experience but does the ignition have a ground that could be loose?
My next step was getting the schematics off ProDemand and ohming the circuits to test for resistance so I can rule that out before I go dismantling the steering assembly, I want to save that until I get my new clock spring so I can just do both at the same time if I actually need a new ignition switch/lock cylinder.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 0BS
My next step was getting the schematics off ProDemand and ohming the circuits to test for resistance so I can rule that out before I go dismantling the steering assembly, I want to save that until I get my new clock spring so I can just do both at the same time if I actually need a new ignition switch/lock cylinder.
Check starter connections while it’s easy? I doubt it’s this but just a thought. Is your truck stick? (Clutch safety switch) We just pulled a clock spring and wheel out of a 90s custom van for my buddy’s foxbody lol
Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Just suggesting things lol I don’t know wth I’m talking about most of the time, trying to be helpful
The following users liked this post:
0BS (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 09:34 PM
0BS

Originally Posted by ShortbedSinglecab
Just suggesting things lol I don’t know wth I’m talking about most of the time, trying to be helpful
You're doing alright buddy lol I'll let everyone know how it starts along with a video tomorrow morning before work.

HOPEFULLY someone in the forum has had a similar issue so they may be able to give me some pointers.

At this point, my diag strategy is:

1.) Wirebrush all body grounds
2.) Test circuits & components for excessive resistance
3.) Replace ignition switch if all else fails

For my first post I didn't expect to recieve as much feedback as I did as fast as it came, thanks guys and if you have anything else you would reccomend checking then feel free to let me know.

Quick Reply: '94 F150 5.0 No-Start (Help)