Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'94 F150 - 4x4 light stays on, won't go into 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy '94 F150 - 4x4 light stays on, won't go into 4wd

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope that you guys can help me out. I've got a 94 F150 extended cab short-bed. Following are the stats I think might help, let me know if you need more.

5.8L
4x4, push-button control
Automatic Trans
87k miles

The truck has been running fine, and I used the 4x4 just the other day. This weekend, I parked the truck (in 2wd) after making about a 60 mile highway trip. A few hours later, I started the truck, and the 4x4 light was on, both on the dash panel and at the 4x4 High control button. I knew I hadn't turned on 4x4, so just in case I tried pushing the button to turn it off, with no result. I tried throwing it in reverse for a bit just in case the hubs had been locked somehow, no result.

The current situation is that the truck is in 2wd, the 4x4 light is always on, and pushing the button for 4x4 High does not engage 4wd or turn on/off the 4x4 light. I haven't tried 4x4 Low, since I don't want to risk it getting stuck in Low as it's my daily driver.

I checked fuses, and the only one blown is in the Power Distribution Box (underhood fuse box) #18 [30 Amp], but the manual says this is for the trailer connection, not the Xfer case.

I'm concerned there's something wrong electronically, maybe with the solenoid on the Xfer case. Any thoughts? My two main concerns are whether driving in 2wd in this condition will hurt the truck, and what I need to do to get my 4wd in order before the winter.

Thanks!
-Tom
Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Well, did you change the blown fuse and try it?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Going to do that today, haven't had a chance with work, didn't have a 30A sitting around. However I wanted to get the question out there ahead of time, since this fuse looks to have a different purpose, if the manual is to be trusted. Also, if someone thinks other trouble might have caused that fuse to blow, I didn't want to pop a new one in and let power flow back, making the problem worse.

I'll get a new fuse after work today and try it in the mean time.

Thanks!
-Tom
Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i hyave the same problem and i changed all the fuses that were blown and still does the same thing so what else could it be besides the fuse?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Unhook the negative batt cable and turn on the headlights,
Let it sit for at least ten minutes.
This will reset the trucks PCM aka Bain.
I’m not sure if it will help but it doesn’t cost anything.
Sometimes the PCM acts funny and im pretty sure it plays a part in
most every button and control in ur truck.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Well I replaced that fuse, no luck on the 4x4 though. I tried tapping on the transfer case motor just in case it got a little stuck in the abrupt temperature drop we've seen the past few days, no luck. My next step I suppose will be to check for trouble codes, and maybe reset the system like was suggested. However, the check engine light isn't on so I'm not expecting trouble codes.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or has anyone seen this before? I'm thinking that maybe I need to replace the transfer case motor (since it's not making a sound when I hit the 4x4 button) but the issue is that there are 2 available, one with a #1D sensor and one with a #D sensor. The autoparts store needs to order it, so I can't match mine against one from a box. Most of the numbers are worn off mine due to age. Any suggestions on how to determine if I need the #1D or #D motor? It's the Borg-Warner transfer case, if that helps.

Just to reiterate, this started happening when I started the truck the other day. When I parked it a few hours earlier it was fine. The fact that it started happening at start up just doesn't seem like a coincidence to me, especially since I wasn't using 4x4 at the time. Any thoughts?

Thanks everybody!
-Tom
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM

So I checked the trouble codes, didn't seem to see any codes other than the continuous codes. I cleared the codes (both by pulling the wire during the KOEO test, and after a start and shutdown, pulling the battery for good measure). The 4x4 light is still on, and 4x4 still doesn't work. So it seems it's not ODB related.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

It's prolly the "stop" in the 4x4 Shift motor that attaches to your T case. Over time the rubber "bump stop" inside breaks or deteriorates. This cause the 4x4 relay computer to not recognize where the motor is located. In other words it's confused. You can take the motor off and take it apart and check and see if any internals are broke. IMO

Oh and you should be able to manually engage the T case with the motor off(not sure on that it's been a while) and that would allow you to use it till you got the motor replaced(if that works out to be the problem).

Last edited by westtnfx4; 11-03-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM

I have the same damn button. Mine stuck in 4 low one time. Had to get it towed. Is there any way to convert the t case to a manual shifter.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Thanks FX4, that sounds reasonable. I'll try pulling the motor off and checking the stop in the next few days.

Quick Reply: '94 F150 - 4x4 light stays on, won't go into 4wd