Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

94 F-150 Cheap Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Brandon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 94 F-150 Cheap Mods

Ive got a 94 F-150 with a 302 and was just wandering what some good mods would be that are fairly cheap just to start out with. dont do mud bogging or anything just want a little more pep to the truck. its a daily driver so don't want to make it a gas guzzler.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
KickAss Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open up the exhaust, let er breath a bit.
headers is a good place to start. and from there if you have cats, you could hollow them out or buy high flow cats. and a magnaflow, dynomax, or flowmaster mufflers too. she should sound better and perform better, as well as better fuel mileage.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

I hate to be redundant but I still think it's the best bang for your buck, quick, inexpensive, easy & fun! Ignition upgrade w/timing bump:http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump

Last edited by ymeski56; 11-30-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokken
Ive got a 94 F-150 with a 302 and was just wandering what some good mods would be that are fairly cheap just to start out with. dont do mud bogging or anything just want a little more pep to the truck. its a daily driver so don't want to make it a gas guzzler.

Nitrous my man....

If you;re going to go broke you might as well do it fast...

Oh wait I might have that mixed up with Marriage....?

any how the Nitrous is much more fun and very rewarding...I cant say the same for the other...lol
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ymeski56
I hate to be redundant but I still think it's the best bang for your buck, quick, inexpensive, easy & fun! Ignition upgrade w/timing bump:http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump

I would agree with ymeski56, changing the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil are a good, easy way to get a "slight" improvement, plus it's one of those things that just needs to be done.

Now, as for cheap bolt on's to "wake her up" here's what I'd suggest:

Cat back exhaust - my local muffler shop charges $250 for a 3" Singl Out Side with Flowmaster muffler - great deal if you ask me.

K&N Air Intake - If you're going to get the air out, you gotta get it in too!

Underdrive Pulleys - Simple bolt on can gain 8-15HP! EDITED: Oooppsss, over estimated

So that total would be:

Approx. $250 for exhaust
$280 for the intake
$70 for the pulleys
$250 for the Ignition parts

So, for about $900 you'll be able to gain nearly 50HP, not too shabby and it's all basic bolt on stuff.

Keep in mind, my 1994 w/5.0 has a stock HP rating of 185! To add 50HP will bring her up to 235HP, now we're talkin'...

Last edited by hackersmovie; 12-01-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:36 AM

where can i find those pulleys? And what do they do?

Last edited by Stryc9; 12-01-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Stryc9
where can i find those pulleys? And what do they do?
Ahh.. they reduce the accessories speed and reduce engine drag, all while not affecting the ouput of those accessories.

Most kits come with 3 pulleys, Crankshaft, Waterpump and Alternator

The cheaper kits are made from steel just like the OEM pulleys, however, if you get a nicer set made from aluminum (BBK makes a smokin' set) that's where you'll see the biggest increase because the aluminum pulleys are lighter and you'll be reducing rotational drag as well.

for these and any other 5.0/302 parts see:

www.summitracing.com nearly any 5.0 engine parts will work......
Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Brandon

Im planning on doing a true duel exhaust in march. gonna get magnaflow or bassani high flow cats and super 44 flowmasters. instead of one branching of into dual im gonna run 2 pipes side by side to the rear. my buddy did it and sounded awesome. what headers would you recomend
Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rokken
Im planning on doing a true duel exhaust in march. gonna get magnaflow or bassani high flow cats and super 44 flowmasters. instead of one branching of into dual im gonna run 2 pipes side by side to the rear. my buddy did it and sounded awesome. what headers would you recomend

Depends...

Are you going to do stock replacements or that doesn't matter?

Stock replacements (a.k.a "Shorties") - BBK either black or ceramic coated, depending on budget

Long Tube - I've always like Hedman Headers but, JBA, Hooker, etc. also make nice headers. (you get the most horsepower and torque increase with long tube headers but, that also means a completely custom exhaust and possibly relocating the O2 sensor/s etc.)

The key to buying headers is basically 2 things:

Primary tube diameter and finish - the bigger the primaries are the better the engine can breathe, finish - typically depends on budget but, if you can swing ceramic coated there is a heat advantage, they can reduce your under hood temperature quite a bit which means the engine is cooler and the air the engine is sucking in is cooler, both mean more horsepower!

Of course, make sure the headers and exhaust pipes are all mandrel bent. This smooths the exhaust flow and reduces back pressure.

Hope this helps, keep the questions comin'! LOL!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM
senior duck tape mechanic

wat are the part numbers for the pullys?

Quick Reply: 94 F-150 Cheap Mods