Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

94 4.9l died after a sending unit replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 4.9l died after a sending unit replacement.

I had a sending unit replaced recently as well as a full tune up. I noticed it ran ok after picking it up, but a bit after I would have to cycle the sending unit a few times before it would start. Especially when sitting overnight. It had been fine for about a month so I used it to go pick up a small trailer I bought 30 miles away from home. It drove perfect all the way there. When I was done hooking up the trailer, the truck would turn over, but not fire. We towed it around to compression start it, but no luck. I can still hear the sending units cycle so it still works, but I noticed the distributor cap is missing a bolt and is zip tied. I twisted it around a little and tried again, but no luck. Once having it towed home, the battery was weak so I reconditioned it overnight and now it wont even crank over. All the lights come on and dim when you turn the key to start it. My battery is putting out 12.5v on my multimeter and does all the way to the starter. So, now I have 2 separate issues. My starter probably **** the bed and needs to be fixed before I can even begin to figure out why it wont spark. Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

What sending unit are you talking about? EFIs tune themselves ~200x/sec, so they don't need tune-ups - just maintenance & repairs. Only carbs have to be tuned periodically.

What do you mean by "reconditioned" the battery? What brand, PN, CCA, & build date is the battery? Did you measure that voltage under any load? What do the terminals look like? Click these & read all the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: 94 4.9l died after a sending unit replacement.