Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

91 F150 5.0 Liter PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 91 F150 5.0 Liter PROBLEMS

Ok, here goes:
I bought my husband a 1991 F150 Custom about 6 months ago. I replaced the power steering pump, the fuel filter, and flushed the transmission. Other than that, the truck was a typical older truck but still running strong.
Until about 2 weeks ago. My husband's truck has a gambit of issues and we are working through them one by one. We have replaced the alternator, distributor cap, starter, plugs/wires, and the EGR valve....and we are STILL having issues.
When my husband starts the truck, it takes pushing the gas to stop it from dying out. When he drives it uphill, apparently it shakes. On top of that, when he turns his lights off, the running lights stay on. To make things really interesting, it's killing his battery (or at least we THINK that's the problem).
We desperately need help. I bought a Haynes manual, but I am at a loss. Someone, anyone, PLEASE give us some direction or help.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Boiler Maker

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You bought him a truck? Can I give you my gfs # so you can give her tips etc
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

I think the best advise I can give is relax and take it one step at a time. See what codes are on the system. There is a sticky on how to make the check engine light blink out diagnostic codes. I would tackle the lights issue first as the electrical problems may affect other systems. You manual should.have the wiring diagram. Check the wires for anything wrong. Burned pinched, worn. I would look for trailer wiring added by a p.o. It's often done wrong and screws up everything. Check your headlights switch with a multi-meter. And of course check all grounds and battery wires for clean tight fit. Did the light issue suddenly start? If so I would look real close at the alternator and its wiring because you just had work done there. For the stalling and idle issues, Id first check the plugs, wires rotor, etc. Remember when you have a new problem it usually has a cause, so check the last thing that changed. If you change the wires, make sure there in the right place, if you use different fuel try the old stuff. This is just general car common sense, but hopefully it gives you somewhere to start. Let us know how it goes and well help from there.

Quick Reply: 91 F150 5.0 Liter PROBLEMS