Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

90 F150 Front End Popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 F150 Front End Popping noise

Hey guys,
Its a 90 F150 4.9L 2wd 5spd manual. I am getting popping noises when i hit bumps and also when turning sharper turns. So when i turn normal corners on the road no problem. However when i park at work or am driving through my apartment complex and am parking i get a popping noise in the front end. It is only when i turn the wheel a good amount or am maneuvering in tight spaces. When it pops when i hit bumps its hit or miss. Some days it does it almost every bump some i only hear it once or twice total. I think it might be ball joints but im not sure. I have no background in steering and suspension components so im fooled. Let me know what you think or if i need to give you more info or pictures.
Also if you can include the price on replacement if you know that would be great. Or if its easy enough and a lot cheaper i could do it in my driveway as i used to do engine and brake work there but ive just never done anything with suspension. Mind you i live in ohio and the truck is an old rusty farm truck so rust and corrosion is a big thing, and i dont have a torch to heat parts up with. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the radius arm bushings, the arms that go from the spindle to a bracket on the frame, and is it a rattle or a pop? Best thing to do is lift each wheel and start to shake to see what is loose.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with what dirtcrew said.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM

Ok thanks guys. And its definitely a popping noise. The only sound i could closely relate it to is like when your shoulder or hip pops out or into place, just deeper and more metal sounding. And it only does it once per direction/turn. So when i am pulling into the parking spot then want to fix it, if i steer right it will pop only once, but then if i steer left it will pop again, and continues if i keep switching directions. Ill check out my car when i get home from work. I am working till 5 est so it will be a little bit before i can. Thanks though guys.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:20 PM

I havent been able to check it out yet but i need to corrected part of my previous statement. It does pop more than once after its turned a certain direction, just doesnt happen every time.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Yup sounds like a radius arm bushing

Quick Reply: 90 F150 Front End Popping noise