Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

89 F150 Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 F150 Need Help

Alright, so I am driving my dad's 89 F150. This truck has a long history of being used rarely, and has been passed down three times now. That said, it hasn't been driven much until he let me use it back in August (2016).

Since I started driving it, I have replaced all of the following:

Starter. Alternator. Lower Radiator Hose. Radiator Thermostat. Oil Filter. Transmission Strainer/Filter. Spark Plugs and Wires.

That said, I need some help fixing some other issues. I have a transmission fluid leak (the transmission is 17 bolt, I believe, but it is standard for an 87?). A brake fluid leak on the rear passenger tire. It's a slow leak.

Lastly, and less pertinent. The gas gauge ALWAYS reads full. I can only tell when I'm low because the gauge will twitch as it gets lower and when I hit the brakes. The twitch gets more dramatic the lower in gas.

I've never worked on cars before this, so it's a new experience. I would appreciate any possible help, suggestions and advice.

Edit: Two will drive, 6 Cylinder.

Last edited by TrulyNewbie; 11-04-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Specify engine
Old 11-04-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Better pull the brake drum and check the wheel cylinder if it's not the brake line leaking.
Sounds like the gas tank might need a new sender.