Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

$800 1988 F150 5.8L Project, Truck and owner need lots of help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question $800 1988 F150 5.8L Project, Truck and owner need lots of help!

OK I picked up my new, old, truck today. It kicked, bucked, and burped as my foot balanced on the gas pedal so she didn't stall. After she warmed up she settled down. She ran smooth; no tapping, grinding, or odd sounds, even revving at higher rpm. She did struggle a little to stay running at low idle.

Now the bad news and questions;
1) The 4X4 shifter is stuck in 2 WL and will not budge but the dash says 4x4 and there is oil on transfer case....Any ideas? Should I just pull it and rebuild?

2) Lots of oil on manifold and under engine. Looks like it could be the valve cover gaskets but Im worried it could also be the head gaskets. the air filter was soaked in oil and a little white gunk as well as under the oil cap, but no gunk in oil when I drained it or in the coolant. Any way to know if the head gaskets are blown before I put it all back together or Should I just do the head gasket? I already have the upper intake manifold off and already ordered the new covers and gasket.

3) I am also thinking about swapping out the injectors for no other reason than PM since I already have things apart. Good or bad idea?

4) What else should I just do or check because of the age and unknown of this truck?

Thanks from the new guy.
Shane
Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I LOVE OLD FORD'S

Originally Posted by ShaneScaife
Now the bad news and questions;
1) The 4X4 shifter is stuck in 2 WL and will not budge but the dash says 4x4 and there is oil on transfer case....Any ideas? Should I just pull it and rebuild?
i have no input on this... sorry

2) Lots of oil on manifold and under engine. Looks like it could be the valve cover gaskets but Im worried it could also be the head gaskets. the air filter was soaked in oil and a little white gunk as well as under the oil cap, but no gunk in oil when I drained it or in the coolant. Any way to know if the head gaskets are blown before I put it all back together or Should I just do the head gasket? I already have the upper intake manifold off and already ordered the new covers and gasket.
the air filter is from the tube that comes from the oil filler cap, sounds like (i believe) the pcv valve needs to be replaced
white gunk under cap is not a big deal as long as its not on the dipstick, thats just condensation. as for the head gaskets, i would go ahead and replace them just to be safe since your there already.

3) I am also thinking about swapping out the injectors for no other reason than PM since I already have things apart. Good or bad idea?
wouldnt hurt anything

4) What else should I just do or check because of the age and unknown of this truck?
all fluids, tranny filter and pan gasket, all other gaskets, plugs wires distributor cap rotor button, flush coolant. pretty much any and all preventive maintenance so you can be on a schedule that you know when its time to do it later. good luck and congrats on the new buy. if ou have any questions there are alot of good knowledgeable people on this forum that would be more than happy to help you
Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Check ur linkage to the transfer case it might br bent up or just woren out. And the sensor might be bad
Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM

For the shifter problem - Better take her off road and kick the hell out of her. Half-broken parts and systems are difficult to diagnose. COMPLETELY broken stuff is much easier to find and upgrade.

Maybe change the oil and add coolant before you go. Guessing the oil will be milky soon. That will dampen the fun very soon since it sounds like a blown HG. Which problem are you more concerned about?

Last edited by f#*%50; 02-21-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Misread original post

Quick Reply: $800 1988 F150 5.8L Project, Truck and owner need lots of help!