Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4X4 Won't Engage... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 Won't Engage... Help!

I have a 95 F150 just with 39,000 miles. I recently replaced all the ball and axle joints. My problem now is that it won't go into 4WD.

The hubs are manual, and when in the lock position, the axle joints are locked (you can't turn them by hand). When they are in the free position, I can turn the axle joints by hand.

When I press the 4X4 button on the dash, I can here a clicking noise, and the 4X4 light comes on. When put in 4LO, the truck lurches forward a little bit...

I've checked the front drive shaft with the 4X4 engaged and disengaged. When engaged, you cannot turn the shaft by hand. When disengaged, you CAN turn it by hand.

It seems like everything wants to work, but the front wheels won't turn!

For some reason, I'm not getting any torque to the front wheels.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to get this beast into 4WD?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check and make sure the locks are not stuck open, if they work, lock them, and turn the wheels manually and see if anything is binding, check the axles and make sure they are extended as far out as they can go, they should have slip joints. Also is the clicking in the dash or under hood, such as a relay or on the transfer case itself?
The following users liked this post:
bhesse (02-16-2013)
Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 AM

When I press the 4X4 button, I can hear the click inside the dash, I think I can hear it under the truck too. I think that I'll be able to get the truck up on a lift tomorrow to see if anything is binding.

I think the hubs are OK, I mean I think they lock and unlock because the axle joint is free I (I can turn them by hand) when in the 'free' position, and when I turn it to the 'lock' position, I cannot turn the axle joints by hand..

Someone told me that the manual hubs, even though I can turn them to free and lock, might not 'squeezing' the spines on the axle end?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These hubs are simple and fairly bullet proof, though one common mistake most have with them is caused by maintenance issues. The hubs are basically rebadged Warn standard hubs, and when lubed up according to warn specs should only have a light coating of grease on them. Best is a spray grease or graphite lube from a can, not to be confused with penetrating oils.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM

UPDATE- Looks like the drivers side locking hub needs to be replaced. We removed the cap from the axle and found pieces of broken parts inside of it. Not sure how it could've happenend? I had brought it into the shop because I couldn't turn the hub from 'free' to 'lock'. The tech said that he sprayed it with WD-40 and turned it with some pliers. Probably broke it then?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like it. Check if the transcase is engaging, sounds like the relay is ok, or might sound stupid, but does the truck have to be moving a certain speed to shift into 4x4?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by regal220xl
UPDATE- Looks like the drivers side locking hub needs to be replaced. We removed the cap from the axle and found pieces of broken parts inside of it. Not sure how it could've happenend? I had brought it into the shop because I couldn't turn the hub from 'free' to 'lock'. The tech said that he sprayed it with WD-40 and turned it with some pliers. Probably broke it then?
It was probably broken before then, wrenching on the plastic bodies will just break the plastic but leave the main hub usable.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM

i have a 1995 ford f-150 XLT with 4 in. lift and new warn manual locking hubs which turn really easy when locking in but front wheels won't engage, i pushed the 4x4 button on the dash and even tryed low all is working perfectly but, front wheels won't lock in. what could be the cause ?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 93 XLT 5.0 - 4x4 auto switch on dash

Help if you can..........
When hubs locked (manual), I push switch on dash "4x4" works great, T case engages, both lights on dash... when push "low range" on dash switch, nothing, not engaged, no lights on dash. Does the auto transmission have to be in low for this to engage or light up, have tried different switch, same thing. Is this a switch or T case motor.. again ... it engages in 4x4 high just not low. and someone suggested it may be the T case actuator?
Thank you
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Locking hubs that are on the end of the front axle shafts are really not very robust parts. I have seen many of them grenade out on the trail back in my jeeping days. They are prone to water ingestion and typically are not maintained to the level they deserve. If your trucks t case is going into 4wd and the front shaft rotates when going fwd but neither front tire will drive, then you need to be pulling the locking hub and having look. About 3-5 screws and a couple snap rings and your there.
The following users liked this post:
bhesse (02-15-2013)

Quick Reply: 4X4 Won't Engage... Help!