Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4R70W Transmission Shift Solenoid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 4R70W Transmission Shift Solenoid Replacement

so a little while ago i was getting a vibration when i would shift from 3rd to 4th. A shop told me to change the fluid and add a conditioner. So i did and the vibration went away. but then I took a 2 and a 1/2 hour trip and topping out the entire way. well that was the last straw and on the way back i was beginning to lose the ability to shift past third. It was recommended that i change the shift solenoid. The parts came in yesterday and i put them in today. now the truck runs oh so smooth. very pleased with the results.
just thought i would post some pics.

note the different mounting locations between the two. the new one uses the same hole as the TCC solenoid

the red arrows point to the shift solenoid location.
the black arrow points to the TCC solenoid location
and the yellow arrow points to the now shared hole

Take note that the TCC solenoid was mounted up first. it won't seat if reversed.

thes parts were not as easy to find as one would think. All the part stores want to call it something different and They even had a second name for the TCC solenoid. not to mention most of them advertised a part that would not work. i found the correct parts at:
http://bulkpart.com/

as a bonus to having correct parts they were half the price as the normal part stores.all totaled 60 shipped. as i got the TCC too since it was 20 bucks and i had it out already
take note of the difference between the 92-97 and the 98+ versions and if you want, go look at say NAPA's website to look at what they are trying to pass off as the correct part to which people complained of not being able to plug in.

also Sean thanks for answering the questions that i had.

just so people don't freak out like i did the old part made no noise when i shook it. though it did leak out some black muck. the new part rattles.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Josh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you happen to have the part numbers for these solenoids? I looked on this site and couldn't find them.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Thanks for posting that.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no sorry i dont. it has been so long i dont even think i got the paper work still
but i think this is what i bought
http://www.bulkpart.com/2/product/AO...id/D76421.html

and

http://www.bulkpart.com/2/product/AO...id/76425B.html

mine is a 94 so going by year i believe thats what i bought

Quick Reply: 4R70W Transmission Shift Solenoid Replacement