Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4.9l thermostat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9l thermostat replacement

Im looking to change the thermostat in my 94 with the 4.9 six. It looks like an easy job. My question is if I will lose lots of coolant or just a bit. I dont want to lose a gallon or anything like that in my driveway.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just get a container and drain down the coolent level before your remove the thermostat housing. When you finish just pour the drained fluid back in.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transmaster
Just get a container and drain down the coolent level before your remove the thermostat housing. When you finish just pour the drained fluid back in.
Thanks. Mission accomplished. I now have hot heat. I had to replace the housing though. The original was cast aluminum and was really rotted on the gasket surface. The new one is cast (iron) and is much heavier.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Rollin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carbuff
Thanks. Mission accomplished. I now have hot heat. I had to replace the housing though. The original was cast aluminum and was really rotted on the gasket surface. The new one is cast (iron) and is much heavier.
yea exactly. i have had to change the thermostat on my 96 many times. I bought a brand new radiator and hoses and all the works, but kept having sealing problems with my thermostat housing. I had to take out the thermostat so it could seal and wouldn't have any leaks. One day i will put a new housing in with the thermostat. Down here in san antonio texas it doesnt get very cold much often so i am kinda winging it.

just thought i would ramble on...

Quick Reply: 4.9l thermostat replacement