Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

4.9 No start need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:48 PM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Default 4.9 No start need help!

Hey guys it’s been a while since I posted but I am stuck and I need some help. I drive a 1994 f150 with the 4.9 straight six and it’s not starting.

About a week ago I got off work and got in my truck and no start, it was cranking but it didn’t start. So I hoped back in the work truck and drove home.

Now I have my work truck (13 f150) to drive fortunately so I decided to tackle this one myself instead of taking it to a shop.

i knew my front fuel pump was on its last leg so I immediately jumped to that. I replaced the whole fuel pump assembly with a spectra premium fuel pump and also replaced the fuel filter. No good.

I then replaced the TPS, Fuel pressure regulator, and the distributor cap (All cheap parts so I said the heck with it, can’t hurt it) still no good.

i did some research and found that aftermarket fuel pumps tended to be a nightmare and decided to return the spectra and order a motorcraft fuel pump. Tonight I installed the new motorcraft fuel pump, and double and triple checked to make sure I wired it up right. Still not starting.

I cant seem to get a fuel pressure reading, I’m assuming because you can only get one when the truck is running? I’m at a loss, I still have a couple weeks to figure it out before the work truck has to go back, so I’m determined to get it started without bringing it to a mechanic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I’m no master mechanic, but I can sure as hell turn a wrench and I’m not afraid to get dirty
Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 PM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Accidentally posted twice. Not sure how to delete, admins please delete as necessary, thank you!
Old 11-28-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

fuel pressure should show up as soon as you turn the key on when the pump primes..have you tried hooking up a gauge?