Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

2wd Rough Country Suspension Lift and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2wd Rough Country Suspension Lift and Tires

Hi guys,
New member here. I have a 95 F150 Super Cab 2wd, 5.0. I’m looking at the Rough Country 2.5 Supsension Level/Lift kit. I’m only trying to improve the stance and height of the truck. I’m not trying to pass it off as a 4wd. I’m not interested in a body lift. Rough Country recommends 32x11.50. I would like to hear suggestions on how that size tire will fill the wheel wells, after the lift. I will run AT’s. I really wouldn’t want to go any larger, as it is a 2wd with 3.55s. I did upgrade from open diff to limited slip, just fyi, and am considering stepping to a 15x8 wheel to better accomodate the 32x11.50s.

Suggestions, and of course pics of similar trucks with the aforementioned combination are welcomed, and much appreciated. This is her, as she sits, stock, with 255/70r/15s.

Last edited by Dapatt79; 02-18-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Picture did not load
Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put General Grabber AT2 265/75 R16 (31x10.4x16) tires and American Racing 16" rims model AR1726885 on my truck. Sits about an inch and half higher than stock. I do have some very faint rub at full clock. I feel the same as you about lifting too high. No interest in having it look like a 4WD either. Pic below should show how that size tire fits on stock stance.

Last edited by Doug Raney; 02-18-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added link to tires.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Dapatt79

Hi guys,
New member here. I have a 95 F150 Super Cab 2wd, 5.0. I’m looking at the Rough Country 2.5 Supsension Level/Lift kit. I’m only trying to improve the stance and height of the truck. I’m not trying to pass it off as a 4wd. I’m not interested in a body lift. Rough Country recommends 32x11.50. I would like to hear suggestions on how that size tire will fill the wheel wells, after the lift. I will run AT’s. I really wouldn’t want to go any larger, as it is a 2wd with 3.55s. I did upgrade from open diff to limited slip, just fyi, and am considering stepping to a 15x8 wheel to better accomodate the 32x11.50s.

Suggestions, and of course pics of similar trucks with the aforementioned combination are welcomed, and much appreciated. This is her, as she sits, stock, with 255/70r/15s.
Welcome to the forum and nice truck!

Check out the moog cc824 coil springs. Or the moog cc844. It's a much cheaper solution to get a leveled truck. Just a simple coil swap and an alignment afterwards. Lots of threads here on the topic if you search.

My truck is a 4WD so its a little different, but I have 32x11x15 on my stock wheels (and moog cc824 coils) and don't have any issues with uneven wear or anything like that. It does rub the radius arm at full steering lock. If you go with wheels that have a little bit more stance, you will probably be able to avoid the radius arms but you may end up hitting the bumper.

I am a big fan of the cooper discoverer AT3 - they have a newer version out now called the AT3 XLT which has a more aggressive sidewall.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Thank you both for your responses and compliments on the truck. She’s been in the family since ‘02. I’ve considered the moog springs, Rough Country has 1.5 leveling springs for a pretty good price. The 2.5 lift levels the front 1.5in, then lifts another inch in front, and 2in blocks in the rear. That’s why I’m interested in doing the 2.5, verses the 1.5 level. I just feel like my 95 is so small compared to trucks these days. I want to pick her up, more than just level. I guess I’m trying to run with the big boys.

Last edited by Dapatt79; 12-02-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dapatt79

2.5 leveling blocks in front on Open Country 295/70r18s.

Thank you both for your responses and compliments on the truck. She’s been in the family since ‘02. I’ve considered the moog springs, Rough Country has 1.5 leveling springs for a pretty good price. The 2.5 lift levels the front 1.5in, then lifts another inch in front, and 2in blocks in the rear. That’s why I’m interested in doing the 2.5, verses the 1.5 level. I just feel like my 95 is so small compared to trucks these days. I want to pick her up, more than just level. I guess I’m trying to run with the big boys. I have a 2012 4wd with the 2.5 level and 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country, and my 95 is dwarfed by it. This is my ‘12.
The reason I suggest the moog is because it requires no modification of the stock suspension, so it keeps that smooth factory ride you can get on these trucks when they are dialed in properly. I have ridden in enough of these trucks with cheap leveling or lift kits (rough country is the biggest culprit - because they are the cheapest and everyone has them) and they ride like crap. If I were going to lift one of these trucks, I wouldn't do it cheaply - I would get one of the fancier kits with extended radius arms and soft ride lifted springs. They are expensive. Its my own personal opinion so take it for what it is worth. Your 25 year old truck will never compare with modern tech - all you can really do is make it as good as it ever could have been. Unless you want to open your wallet significantly.

That being said, if you do go with the rough country kit, you can probably keep your stock wheels and only deal with a minor bit of rubbing at full lock.

Nice 2012 - I have a buddy with a 2010 platinum with the raptor engine and it is the only time I ever look at another truck and think that maaaybe someday it could replace mine.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:26 PM

Default 824 or 844

Wow! There is so much info on the cc824 and 844s. I like that the springs will level the front as well as provide a quality, factory ride. Thanks for the recommendation. There were so many conflicting opinions on 824s vs. 844s though. One guy posted a pic of his supercab 4x4 with 824s. The stance was exactly what I’m looking for. He did mention that he had his stock 2in blocks in the rear. Did the 4x4s come factory with 2in blocks in the rear in the 92-96 F150s?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:38 PM

I’ve decided to go with the Moog CC824s and I think I’m going to run 31x10.50 ATs, because I can keep my stock wheels. I truly appreciate your guys input.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Just got back to this for the first time - I think you will really like the cc824 springs. Just make sure to get a good alignment afterwards with new camber bushings. Find a good shop - it is SOOOO important. If you have any other repairs needed, like tie rods, ball joints, etc., get those done before you take them in for the alignment.

My 4x4 came stock with 2" blocks in the rear.

Some other suggestions I would make since you are saving some money buying the moogs over the rough country kit:

Checkout the saginaw power steering pump mod. Best mod you can do to the truck. It will make you question the need for your 2012. I'm serious.
If you don't have away bars front and rear, I highly recommend them, especially if you will be doing most of your driving on the street. This is an easy find in a junkyard. Replace all the bushings with energy suspension poly.
Shocks can be stock length with the cc824 coils - I have been running kyb excel-g on my trucks for a couple of years and love them - cheap and reliable so far. Again this depends on how you use the truck. The roughest road my truck sees is the occasional gravel driveway.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Welcome to the forum and nice truck!

Check out the moog cc824 coil springs. Or the moog cc844. It's a much cheaper solution to get a leveled truck. Just a simple coil swap and an alignment afterwards. Lots of threads here on the topic if you search.

My truck is a 4WD so its a little different, but I have 32x11x15 on my stock wheels (and moog cc824 coils) and don't have any issues with uneven wear or anything like that. It does rub the radius arm at full steering lock. If you go with wheels that have a little bit more stance, you will probably be able to avoid the radius arms but you may end up hitting the bumper.

I am a big fan of the cooper discoverer AT3 - they have a newer version out now called the AT3 XLT which has a more aggressive sidewall.
If you go with springs, use the cc844. I put the cc824s on mine and it did not level it. If you go with blocks check with your state laws as spring blocks are illegal here in PA. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2wd Rough Country Suspension Lift and Tires