Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 Mustang 302 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1995 Mustang 302 swap

So, I just picked up a 'new' motor for my '92. My question is: do I HAVE to swap my truck intake over, or can I keep the mustang intake. I know I SHOULD swap it, but I really don't want the extra downtime & work. Especially since this motor's mainly temporary. It's kinda high mileage & I'm going to rebuild the stock motor with some extra goodies. So basically, what do I need to do in addition to a normal engine swap?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes, you should swap the intake manifold and the exhaust manifolds and the valve covers. I say valve covers because of the PCV valve location. The truck intake is much better and also, the Mustang intake is built to have an air filter on the passenger's side where the truck intake is built to have an air filter on the driver's side. You will have to change the firing order to the Mustang firing order. This should be a simple swap right here.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by qdeezie
Yes, you should swap the intake manifold and the exhaust manifolds and the valve covers. I say valve covers because of the PCV valve location. The truck intake is much better and also, the Mustang intake is built to have an air filter on the passenger's side where the truck intake is built to have an air filter on the driver's side. You will have to change the firing order to the Mustang firing order. This should be a simple swap right here.
It's got the stock shorty headers...they're staying. The filter location ain't a problem to me, I can make a custom setup with a high-flow air filter. I know the truck intake is better, but it's not permanent.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM

The stock shorty headers will not bolt to the truck exhaust. Take a look at the truck manifold on the driver's side and take a look at the mustang header on the driver's side.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM

The stock shorty headers will not bolt to the truck exhaust. Take a look at the truck manifold on the driver's side and take a look at the mustang header on the driver's side.
Your point? I can access a 110v mig and I can weld. Why would I not want the shorties?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Have you examined how close the header exit would be to the firewall on the driver's side?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Have you examined how close the header exit would be to the firewall on the driver's side?
I haven't started the swap yet. Others have used mustang shorties, even stock ones. I'm done arguing this point with you.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Who said I was arguing? If the manufacturer moved the exit away from the firewall, it must have been a reason. You asked for advice and I simply gave you something to take a look at prior to the install. Nothing more, nothing less. Sheesh!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM

Who said I was arguing? If the manufacturer moved the exit away from the firewall, it must have been a reason. You asked for advice and I simply gave you something to take a look at prior to the install. Nothing more, nothing less. Sheesh!
When you post multiple times against someone doing something that multiple other forum members have done with no problems, you're arguing. I'll bet you're the same person who's gonna get pissed & throw a b!tch fit over me removing all my smog crap & egr.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Does anyone else have an opinion/advice? I'll be nice to everyone else.

Quick Reply: 1995 Mustang 302 swap