Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 Ford F150: no fuel need help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1995 Ford F150: no fuel need help.

Ok so I've had the truck for about 3 months. In the first 2 weeks the waterpump seized, the fan snapped off and went into the radiator. The truck got hot but no cracks or anything anywhere. After replacing the pump and radiator I had an issue where it would shut off on me while driving. It would occasionally fire back up right away and run fine and other times it would take 3-5 hours for it to start back up. Eventually it came to the point where it would crank but not start.

Over this short period of time, before it stopped running, I replaced the Ignition module, battery, spark plugs and wires, the starter, the distributor cap and the rotary pin under the cap.

When it finally died, I replaced the ECM and the whole distributor as well as the fuel pump and fuel filter.

It started running again and I thought the issues were taken car of but it started doing the same thing again.

It bogs down and shuts off as if its not getting fuel. On occasions it will crank but won't fire up at all. When the bogging and no start happens, you can smell fuel as if there is a leak.

I can't find a leak anywhere.

New parts list:

ECM
Ignition Module
Spark Plugs and wires
Battery
Starter
Fuel pump and filter
Distributor
Water Pump
Radiator

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-27-2014, 08:41 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

First pull your codes, if it's not running you can't do the KOER test but should be able to get any stored codes, follow this link https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-re...es-obdi-10907/ for directions.

"Borrow" a fuel pressure gauge from some place like Orielly's, test the fuel pressure. You should also get your hands on a vacuum gauge and test each of the lines coming off of the tree on top of the manifold (pull from tree and test).

Are the pumps priming when the key is turned to ON, does it act this way for both tanks?
If you are getting low pressure try jumping the fuel pump relay to force the pump on. Also the FPG from Orielly's comes with a multimeter, you need to test the pump wires to ensure it's getting proper voltage and a solid ground. If dual tanks you should also test the selector switch.

If it's having problems with both tanks you can eliminate a pump problem. Is your filter properly connected (no leaks). Pull the vac line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator, does it smell like fuel (if yes FPR is probably shot)?

When you replaced the distributor did you put it back in exactly the same as the one you pulled?

Have you checked timing?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

[QUOTE=bulbs;3881649

It bogs down and shuts off as if its not getting fuel. On occasions it will crank but won't fire up at all. When the bogging and no start happens, you can smell fuel as if there is a leak.

[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the engine coolant temperature sensor. Does it run good cold and act up when it's warmed up?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Distributor went in the same way it came out and timing was set with timing light. Timing is good. The fuel pump engages when the key is turned and the pressure is fine. You can smell a lot of fuel but can't find a leak anywhere.

It usually acts up when its warmed up, but sometimes it'll start and die right away on cold starts as if there is a power or fuel issue.

Going to check the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, but why would this be an issue?
Old 01-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by bulbs

Going to check the Engine Coolant Temp sensor, but why would this be an issue?
That's a very important sensor. It regulates the richness of the fuel injection stream. If it is malfunctioning and sensing the engine is cold when it is actually warmed up it will inject a greatly over rich gas stream. You would probably smell this in the exhaust.

I can't say for sure that is your problem, it just comes to mind when you say you can smell gas and can't see it.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Check the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator. If the inside of the vac line smells like fuel, the FPR could be flooding the engine.

Quick Reply: 1995 Ford F150: no fuel need help.