Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 F150 4.9L Straight 6 Turbo Competition

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1995 F150 4.9L Straight 6 Turbo Competition

Hey guys, I just got myself into a crazy competition with one of my friends.

Here is what the competition is: One of us has to run a turbo in our vehicle. Here are the Rules: Must run AT LEAST 5 lbs. of boost for at least 1250 miles after application without ANY kind of failure due to turbo. Our Vehicle must be used, and any OEM or Aftermarket parts are OK to use. There is no price limit, power specs or anything like that. All I need is a FUNCTIONAL turbocharger, and it has to last for at least 1250 miles with no issues.
The Prize: The amazing feeling of winning + $300.

Luckily for me; I have you guys! I have been on here for a little while, and I have always lurked in the corners reading stuff, but hopefully now I can get a little more contribution from you guys so I can make my own contribution! =)
The bad part; I have a 4.9L Straight 6, and from what I have previously researched, it's no easy task getting a turbo to run on these engines in these trucks. I know how a turbo works, and I know how to do all of the installation and fabrication, but I lack the fine details of technical stuff for these trucks that I need to know to make a turbo work on this engine. So what I need from you guys is what should I be aware of before I take on this task. I am hopefully going to get a step ahead in the beginning with some of you guys by my side.

Anyways, here is what I am asking of you guys: First of all, what I gotten into? >.< Second, what is going to be the hardest part of successfully running at least 5 lbs. of boost into my engine? Third, what price range would I be looking at?

I know application of a turbo can be a pain and very costly if not done properly. Also, don't try to talk me out of this, because I know that if there is a will, there is a way, despite how stubborn this project may be.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

If I were you I would get a Megasquirt computer
Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ford 4x4
If I were you I would get a Megasquirt computer
I have actually already considered that. I read about a few other people putting them in their trucks, and the results sound great. Plus, I hear it's a fun experience.

I got another leg up in our competition by the way; my friends car decided to hate on him and the rear brakes locked up and junked his rotors and pads and I think the caliper pistons got stuck pushed out, so he has to spend the extra time and money on that.

I have been thinking about an STS rear mount turbo system. Does anyone have any experience or concerns with this kind of setup? I think it will be easier for me so I don't have to mess with the engine bay to make stuff fit. I'm hoping that will take a little time away from engine bay space management and more time on turbo installation.

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 AM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

you do relize its going to cost about 1,000-2,000 bucks to turbo charge a I6 right... its possible but the main issue is the blimbing. if its just a proof of concept id take the hood off and do all the plumbing over the top including the intercooler. id recomend an old catipiler low rpm turbo charger. and just bolting the turbo to the collector of the exhaust to save tons of custom header work. as for the fuel delevery upgrade to the MAF system so it can sense the air flow and compensate for the extra air flow....you would be better off Supercharing the I6 then turbocharing it just saying.

the engine should be able to hold 5lbs of boost stock but the issue is crankshaft warping...
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheCollector
you do relize its going to cost about 1,000-2,000 bucks to turbo charge a I6 right... its possible but the main issue is the blimbing. if its just a proof of concept id take the hood off and do all the plumbing over the top including the intercooler. id recomend an old catipiler low rpm turbo charger. and just bolting the turbo to the collector of the exhaust to save tons of custom header work. as for the fuel delevery upgrade to the MAF system so it can sense the air flow and compensate for the extra air flow....you would be better off Supercharing the I6 then turbocharing it just saying.

the engine should be able to hold 5lbs of boost stock but the issue is crankshaft warping...
I know it's not going to be cheap, but the money isn't what concerns me. Like you said, it's the I6 that is the "problem". I like the idea of avoiding a lot of header work, so that's why I inquired about the STS Rear/Remote mount systems. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I'm hoping to avoid all the fabrication I can, especially the headers. If the STS isn't a good choice, then the hood removal and over the top plumbing would be my next option. There is no such thing a turbo header for our I6, but my friends car has aftermarket turbo headers available, so that is one of my main concerns. I have also read about the MAF conversion, and I think that that would be a possible undertaking. I'm hoping to keep everything as close to stock as I can, to avoid the extra time and money. Like you said, it is pretty much a proof of concept, but I might eventually work on a permanent turbo solution after the competition.

I have another big question for you guys though. Could I switch the I6 for a 7.3L Turbo Diesel in my truck, or is that going to be a rough project too? I know that it takes more than the engine to convert, but at least I know the engine can withstand the turbo. I have seen a few Diesel pickups go for fairly cheap around here lately. I'm not sure if this will fit within our competition guidelines yet, but we will see.

We still have another week of research before we are able start the actual work, so I'm rushing to get as much knowledge as I can, so I apologize if I seem naive in the way I reply or the whole idea of this. We just took on this wager as a fun sort of project for both of us to have, but I might eventually work out the kinks and go with a permanent turbo solution.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:53 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette117
I know it's not going to be cheap, but the money isn't what concerns me. Like you said, it's the I6 that is the "problem". I like the idea of avoiding a lot of header work, so that's why I inquired about the STS Rear/Remote mount systems. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I'm hoping to avoid all the fabrication I can, especially the headers. If the STS isn't a good choice, then the hood removal and over the top plumbing would be my next option. There is no such thing a turbo header for our I6, but my friends car has aftermarket turbo headers available, so that is one of my main concerns. I have also read about the MAF conversion, and I think that that would be a possible undertaking. I'm hoping to keep everything as close to stock as I can, to avoid the extra time and money. Like you said, it is pretty much a proof of concept, but I might eventually work on a permanent turbo solution after the competition.

I have another big question for you guys though. Could I switch the I6 for a 7.3L Turbo Diesel in my truck, or is that going to be a rough project too? I know that it takes more than the engine to convert, but at least I know the engine can withstand the turbo. I have seen a few Diesel pickups go for fairly cheap around here lately. I'm not sure if this will fit within our competition guidelines yet, but we will see.

We still have another week of research before we are able start the actual work, so I'm rushing to get as much knowledge as I can, so I apologize if I seem naive in the way I reply or the whole idea of this. We just took on this wager as a fun sort of project for both of us to have, but I might eventually work out the kinks and go with a permanent turbo solution.
It would be better and faster to swap out the i6 for the 7.3l turbo. theres a lot of I6s that have been turbocharged however heads pistons and all other parts are always upgraded. 5lbs isnt much but might cause issues. as for keeping it close to stock will not be possible at all. considering the ecu wont know what to do with the turbos extra air mass flowing through it. the remote turbo should be your best bet its still going to be a feat of plumbing considering the way the trucks set up. Clifford preformance has made a few intakes for carbs that might be better equipped for your application. but again the 300 six isnt much of a turbo tuner engine again due to the crankshaft flex and the set up of the intake and exhust set up. If you have a fully eqquped machine shop id make a cross flow head system. theres rumors all over the net about them but i never seen a head for sale.

if i had the cash i could make the system but id just put the 7.3l in.
get a set of aftermarket headers fab up a bracket for the turbo bolt it up run the air tubes up through the drivers side under the engine and trans to the origonal air intake then figure out how to get the engine to make it inderstand the new air flow.
you would be better off swaping engines and transmissons faster then making the i6 run a turbo just on the fact of everything will need to be fabricated.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheCollector
considering the ecu wont know what to do with the turbos extra air mass flowing through it. the remote turbo should be your best bet its still going to be a feat of plumbing considering the way the trucks set up.

if i had the cash i could make the system but id just put the 7.3l in.
get a set of aftermarket headers fab up a bracket for the turbo bolt it up run the air tubes up through the drivers side under the engine and trans to the origonal air intake then figure out how to get the engine to make it inderstand the new air flow. fabricated.
With the remote turbo system, I wouldn't have to fabricate any kind of new header, or purchase aftermarket headers. All I would have to do is weld a T3/T4 turbo flange on the exhaust somewhere after the Cat, or downpipe, then the turbo would bolt on, and I could return the plumbing where the stock airbox and intake is, because I could run an aftermarket air filter on the turbo, and remove all the old air intake plumbing and boxes. As for the ECU, someone mentioned above that I could install the Megasquirt system. If I used the Megasquirt as the new ECU, I could do all of the tuning myself with my computer and avoid the extra air intake. As for the stock engine taking the power, I'm hoping it can hold the 5 lbs. If I don't think it can, I can hopefully reinforce the engine. The Remote turbo system is looking like my best bet so far. I am still open to suggestions though.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM

Man I was thinkin about putting a turbo on mine, but the only thing that is keeping me back is I wanted to run maybe 7lbs of boost. but I cant really find any upgraded internals. ..
Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ford 4x4
Man I was thinkin about putting a turbo on mine, but the only thing that is keeping me back is I wanted to run maybe 7lbs of boost. but I cant really find any upgraded internals. ..
That is what I was afraid of. Like I said, I lack the depth of technical knowledge on these trucks, so I'm not 100% sure of what is available on the fly. If I can't find upgraded internals to withstand the extra boost, then it's going to be tough to run the boost without killing it. If you have anything that could help though, please let me know! As soon as I figure out what I want, and start getting things done, I will let you know what happens. Right know, I'm really thinking about the STS remote setup. The only thing I'm afraid of is ground clearance with all the extra plumbing. I have plenty of space under my truck, but with that much money down there, I would be taking it super careful. Would Remote Turbo in the bed behind the cab be a good idea? I don't haul stuff with this truck so I don't really need that space.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM

Thats a little far I think if it was in the bed... And I dont think the bottom end of a 300 will blow out... its the top end.

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 4.9L Straight 6 Turbo Competition