Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1995 F150 351 turns over but does not start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 F150 351 turns over but does not start.

So I just got this truck a back in August and till now hadn't had a single problem. I sold a 2005 F350 6.0l diesel cause we needed money and I was constantly having issues with it. I've owned a few 5.0 mustangs so I told my fiancee I knew this engine family well, which I do but I'm still a little stumped and can't narrow it down to one thing that's keeping it from starting. It's also either been raining, snowing, or 6 degrees out lately so I haven't gotten that much time to trouble shoot but here's what I know so far.

About a week ago I drove out to a buddies house with no problems and a few hours later when I went to drive home it wouldn't start. Turns over just fine but doesn't fire at all. I pulled the #1 spark plug cable off, stuck a screw driver in there and held it near a ground and saw no spark. Next day I returned and cranked the motor a few times and pulled a plug to check if I was getting fuel and saw nothing to tell me it was getting any. I tried switching between fuel tanks and noticed I couldn't hear the pumps priming like usual. Next I pulled fuses to look for something blown but they were all good. I then hooked up a diagnostic tool to pull and erase codes. Only thing I saw was a code for the TPS but I don't remember which one it was. After erasing codes I decided to try it again. When I turned the key I heard the pumps prime and it started. After a few minutes the motor did do a quick surge but recovered quickly and a few minutes later of smooth idling I tried driving it home. Got about 8 miles away it started sputtering and loosing power with the check engine light coming on flashing till the point I couldn't keep it up to speed and pulled over and shut it down. She hasn't started since.
My diagnostic tool now will not complete a test, the fuel pumps are not making a sound again, and the battery is dead. The battery I'm assuming has to do with the temp since has dropped and one of the cells was very low on fluid. I have some ideas but nothing that accounts for everything that's going on. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by GoCougs!; 12-01-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Some basic stuff to start with is the connections to your ignition system and all the grounds you can find. Check the solenoid wire to make sure it's not shorting out somewhere. Trace your fuel pump wires to see if they are broken. Don't throw parts at it until you've looked at the simple stuff.

Speaking of new parts, have you replaced anything within the last year or two?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Speaking of new parts, have you replaced anything within the last year or two?
I've only had the truck since August and the only thing I've done is an oil change.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Do you know any of the maintenance history?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The basics ;
fuel - sufficient pressure ? You need a bare minimum of 30 psi (30 to 45 is the operating range, normal is 40 - 42). Having some fuel pressure at the fuel rail doesn't tell you what you need to know. 20 psi, it won't run.
Do the pumps prime for a second or two when you cycle the key ? (after the initial prime, the engine has to be running to get power to the pumps).
The relay for the fuel pump is in the relay box under the hood. You can try swapping relays with something else, or just try a new one. On occasion, the wire under neath the relay corrodes and that can be an issue.
The fuel pressure regulator is bolted on the fuel rail - a leaky diaphragm will give you a fuel smell in the vacuum line going to it.
Spark : coils and PIP's (distributor pickup module) can come and go intermittently on their way to dying completely. These particular ones are particularly well known for the PIP going out at around this age.
Using a spare spark plug grounded with a booster cable is a better way to see if you have a good spark.
TPS (throttle position sensor) can be tested with a voltmeter to ensure proper voltage and steady increase and decrease of same when the throttle is opened and closed. Problems with the TPS signal can shut down the injectors.
There's a few places to start. Get back to us with what you find.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Do you know any of the maintenance history?
No I do not but it does look like it was taken care of fairly well. Also I didn't mention earlier she has about 139,xxx miles.

fuel - sufficient pressure ?
Fuel pressures are the same as on the 5.0. Only thing is on my mustangs I usually get an adjustable regulator and run a gauge off of it so I can monitor the pressure and this truck doesn't have one, yet. So I don't have a way of checking the pressure.

Do the pumps prime for a second or two when you cycle the key ?
The pumps are not making the priming noise when I first turn the key right now.

Using a spare spark plug grounded with a booster cable is a better way to see if you have a good spark.
I've been driving a diesel truck the last 6 years and sold my mustang about 3 years ago so I haven't had a spare spark plug laying around for awhile. I think I may go run by the part store and pick up a set though since they're cheap and test it this way.

TPS (throttle position sensor) can be tested with a voltmeter to ensure proper voltage and steady increase and decrease of same when the throttle is opened and closed. Problems with the TPS signal can shut down the injectors.
I've done this test on a mustang before but haven't gotten a chance to do it on the truck yet. I'll do it soon.

Any idea on why my diagnostic tool is not able to complete a test anymore? I was hoping to pull a code since the check engine light looked like it was trying to communicate in morse code with me when it was loosing power on the way home.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM

The pumps are not making the priming noise when I first turn the key right now.
If the tfi module went bad it could cause this along with no spark.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:33 PM

I've heard of the tfi module going bad but it's usually from heat and when it cools down the motor will start again.
Today I got a new battery and rebuild the ends of the battery cables since they were shot. I was able to successfully run another KOEO test and came up with a 00 and 10 codes which from what I've been able to figure out don't really mean anything. I also picked up some spark plugs and tried testing spark with them and still didn't see anything. To double check I opened the throttle body and sprayed a bit of starter fluid down there thinking if it were a fuel problem I should at least get it to sputter but still nothing. So I'm assuming I'm having an issue with the ignition right now. Any ideas on which route to take in trouble shooting it further?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 PM

Almost forgot, while trouble shooting the fuel side I also swapped the fuel relay for another thinking the problem might follow but it didn't.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Easy to check but look at the inertia switch to see if it has been tripped. You can also pull the plug in off it and run a jumper wire then see if the pumps run then

Quick Reply: 1995 F150 351 turns over but does not start.