Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1992 Ford F150 thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Ford F150 thermostat

Hello all,
I am new to this particular forum, and I have done a general search of my topic. I have tried several of the recommendations that I have found, but I am not having any luck.

I have a 1992 F150 XLT, 5.0 liter V8. I have been trying to change the change the thermostat on it for two weeks now. I have successfully removed the top bolt from the thermostat housing. I am having no luck with the lower housing bolt. I have tried, ratchets in every configuration (with extensions, flex heads, etc.), wrenches (flex heads, regular, ratcheting, etc.). I even went to Auto Zone and bought one of those long flexible spring socket attachments, which broke. I have removed the nearby hoses, but most of the issue is the water pump below has a completely useless metal piece that is in the way.

One person I talked to said that there is a special wrench specifically for this job, but I cannot find it anywhere. Can anyone please help me out with some recommendations.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just did thermostat on my 5.0 few days ago. The left one is cake and the right one (DS) is tough but a 13mm 12point worked for me. Whatever size, use a 12point.
The following users liked this post:
A Seabee (11-15-2023)
Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Use a wrench. You might have to bend it to make it work. Hopefully you don't break the bolt if it's that tight.
That's the biggest way to tell a 302 from a 351 - on a 351 you can stick a ratchet and extension right in there; 302 there's no way.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

To do mine, I used the circular side of a combination wrench. Took a while but got it. I put the wrench around the bolt, turned it the little bit I could, pulled the wrench back till it hit the metal on the water pump area, re-adjusted wrench, repeat. When it was finally fully loosened up, I was able to remove the thermo housing with the bolt still resting through it, with the wrench still around the bolt.

To re-install, put the wrench around the bolt head, and put the bolt through the thermo housing and tighten in the same fashion as it was loosened up.
Rob 77 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Rob, you think it's fun accessing that bolt with a wrench? Wait until you try to get that thermostat seated correctly in the reinstall! There are tricks to make it easier, but it is always a PITA to get it correct and no leaks!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod Wise
Rob, you think it's fun accessing that bolt with a wrench? Wait until you try to get that thermostat seated correctly in the reinstall! There are tricks to make it easier, but it is always a PITA to get it correct and no leaks!

Yup. I played with it for 20 minutes trying to gwt it right. I ended up not trusting it, and ruining new gasket. I smeared some gasket silicone very thin and glued on the gasket, which holds the thermo in place. No leak yet!!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Thank you for the information. I had tried a combination wrench, it just wasn't working. I ended up shaving a little off of the wrench and it worked just fine. Of course now there is a slow leak. I am going to have to take it off again and use a silicone or something to get a better seal. That will come later though, it is a very slow leak.

The bad part is that it did not fix the problem. The engine temperature still drops when idling. The only time I get hot air from the heater is when I have my foot on the accelerator. Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

What temperature thermostat are you using? Also, it sounds like you might have a vacuum issue.
Rob 77 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Default 1992 Ford F150 Thermostat

Originally Posted by qdeezie
What temperature thermostat are you using? Also, it sounds like you might have a vacuum issue.
I am using 195 degree thermostat. It is OEM according to the guy at the local auto parts store.

I am not sure if it was a vacuum issue, as I said I am not very mechanically inclined. I was able to fix it though. After doing some more research on here I realized that I never "burped" the radiator. After I did that, it worked perfectly. No leaks, heater works great, and engine maintains a constant temperature.