Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1992 F150 Time for Upgrades, Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1992 F150 Time for Upgrades, Have Questions

I bought a 1992 F150 XLT ext. cab short bed with the 5.0L V8 a few months back but I haven't really done anything to it at all.

Assuming my tanks are 16gal in the front and 18gal in the back(??? No idea what they are...That's my best guess) I get about 13 mpg. 13mpg isn't bad but when I drive over 50 miles a day it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to upgrade and improve fuel economy among other things.

After reading and being told a lot about improvements that should be done I think I should:

Seafoam, no problem there thanks to TheDude1982's guide over in the how-to section

Check/replace most filters

Drop in a conical K&N air filter

Replace most of the wore down lines/hoses.

(?)The oil pan gasket or seal, what ever its called, is busted. There is a lot of caked on old oil and there is a small drip that's not even enough to see on the ground... Is it worth the hassle to fix this? The truck hardly uses any oil.

Change all fluids and switch to synthetics

Get the brakes done. When braking the brakes kind of pulse... I know that's a fairly big issue, how much would fixing that cost? Assuming those are only the rear brakes.

I would also like to do an ignition upgrade. The thread on the Bronco forum that most people refer me to won't load any of the pictures, which is the better part of that guide. Is there another write up on ignition upgrades for trucks of this year? Also, what are the best parts to use for the ignition upgrade? Any particular brand for all of it?

While I'm at it, I should go ahead and upgrade spark plugs too. Which ones are best?

Am I missing anything that needs to be done? I'm not looking for horsepower or beauty, really just mpg's and reliability. My budget would have to be as little as possible without compromising quality. And if you couldn't tell from this I'm no mechanic but I can do most anything on my own with a little guidance and maybe a few pictures .

Advice and comments always welcome!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by W Ligon; 06-25-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 AM

I bought a 1992 F150 XLT ext. cab short bed with the 5.0L V8 a few months back but I haven't really done anything to it at all.

Assuming my tanks are 16gal in the front and 18gal in the back(??? No idea what they are...That's my best guess) I get about 13 mpg. 13mpg isn't bad but when I drive over 50 miles a day it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to upgrade and improve fuel economy among other things.

After reading and being told a lot about improvements that should be done I think I should:

Seafoam, no problem there thanks to TheDude1982's guide over in the how-to section

Check/replace most filters

Drop in a conical K&N air filter

Replace most of the wore down lines/hoses.

(?)The oil pan gasket or seal, what ever its called, is busted. There is a lot of caked on old oil and there is a small drip that's not even enough to see on the ground... Is it worth the hassle to fix this? The truck hardly uses any oil.

The oil pan should be fairly easy to drop, you can change the oil at the same time as well. A chilton's manual would be handy for instructions.

Change all fluids and switch to synthetics

Get the brakes done. When braking the brakes kind of pulse... I know that's a fairly big issue, how much would fixing that cost? Assuming those are only the rear brakes.

pulsating brakes usually means that the rotors are warped. This would be the front brakes. Replacing the rotors and brakes would be fairly easy. Again, a chilton's manual is handy. Rotors may be $30-50 a piece and brake pads may be around $40-60.

I would also like to do an ignition upgrade. The thread on the Bronco forum that most people refer me to won't load any of the pictures, which is the better part of that guide. Is there another write up on ignition upgrades for trucks of this year? Also, what are the best parts to use for the ignition upgrade? Any particular brand for all of it?

While I'm at it, I should go ahead and upgrade spark plugs too. Which ones are best?

MSD makes some good components. However, you can advance the ignition without buying expensive ignition components. You could buy some spark plug wires and spark plugs, and advance the spark to 12-14 degrees and be fine. However, it would be best to run premium gas to prevent detonation and engine failure. Do not take ignition timing lightly, as you can blow your engine if you advance the timing too much, or if you advance the timing and run 87 octane gas.

Am I missing anything that needs to be done? I'm not looking for horsepower or beauty, really just mpg's and reliability. My budget would have to be as little as possible without compromising quality. And if you couldn't tell from this I'm no mechanic but I can do most anything on my own with a little guidance and maybe a few pictures .

If you want to make your truck reliable and improve gas mileage, due a full tune up including but not limited to:

spark plugs (motorcraft plugs are perfectly fine)
spark plug wires
distributor cap
fuel filter
flush the coolant (from the block and the radiator)
new oil/filter
new brake fluid and bleed the brakes
new transmission fluid/filter
new differential fluid
new air filter
new pcv valve
new serpentine belts (if old ones are cracked)

After that, you will be off to a great, healthy truck! Hope this helps!

-Tanner

Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info!

So what do you think all of that would cost on the high/low end?

Quick Reply: 1992 F150 Time for Upgrades, Have Questions