1991 Replacing fuel tank - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1991 Replacing fuel tank

Old 09-05-2015, 06:37 PM

Default 1991 Replacing fuel tank

I am interested in replacing my fuel tank on my 1991 f150... Just noticed when I filled the tank up to full it was leaking pretty bad from the top underneath tank support strap... Since I am wanting to replace the tank itself, is there anything else I should be looking into replacing along with it for example like the fuel pump filter or whatever... I am also interested in dropping the rear tank so I wanna know how I go about plugging that up or whatever I need to do
Old 09-05-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jdavis16 View Post
I am interested in replacing my fuel tank on my 1991 f150... Just noticed when I filled the tank up to full it was leaking pretty bad from the top underneath tank support strap... Since I am wanting to replace the tank itself, is there anything else I should be looking into replacing along with it for example like the fuel pump filter or whatever... I am also interested in dropping the rear tank so I wanna know how I go about plugging that up or whatever I need to do
You can buy new tanks that have pumps installed already. Either way, replace the pump and the straps.
For plugging the rear, IDK. I just wouldn't use it rather than plugging. You never know when you might need it. I I've close to the Gulf so mine is always full in case we need to split quickly or there is a shortage for a week.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:51 PM

makes sense... I think ill just keep and replace the first tank and later move on to replacing the second... where can I get a tank and pump combo together?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:21 AM

rockauto.com
Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 PM

Just curious, why the straps too?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by jdavis16 View Post
I had the same thing happened. Took a long time to figure it out but I finally stuck my head in there while someone else pumped and I snapped a pic. Turned out it was a bad inner hose and it would leak where the connection was.

Mine was unique cause it's a work truck (the kind with tool panels on the side) to the filler neck and hoses where heavily McGuyver'ed. I finally replaced the filler necks, hoses, rear tank (was heavily rusted) and rear pump.

And yes, I would do the 2 tanks. You just never know. Good feeling to have 36 gallons.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:08 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Originally Posted by miataman View Post
Just curious, why the straps too?
1. when you buy the pump/tank assembly they come with it so it's dumb not to swap them.
2. if you just replace the tank or the pump and drop the tank to do it why risk using the old straps when they are fairly cheap.
3. the straps hold quite a bit of weight and are subjected to a lot of weathering (especially in our area) and stress from the force of the fuel sloshing around on the road/bumps combined with rusting straps is just an accident waiting to happen.

There are certain things you should just replace with other components or any time they are removed, gaskets for example- may still be good but why put an old gasket back on, water pump/fan clutch together, Idler pulley/tensionor pulley with serp belt (even though they may both still work properly if you compare the one on the truck to a new one you can hear and feel a difference when you spin them, just the bearings inside getting worn), etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to fltdriver For This Useful Post:
miataman (09-17-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Replacing fuel tank

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: