Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

1988 XLT Lariat 4x4 Purchase, Looking for Advice Moving Forward

Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 XLT Lariat 4x4 Purchase, Looking for Advice Moving Forward

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto...814222493.html

Afternoon all, I just put money down on an '88 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 and will be paying it off and picking it up later this week. I was curious about opinions about this truck's age, condition and what to do moving forward. It's going to be a 3rd vehicle for us, only driven a few days/week and being worked on here and there as I have spare money and time. The craigslist page is still good right now, and I'll add more photos when I pick it up this weekend. I ended up taking it for $3,200.00.

Here are the specs and other info:
1988 F150 XLT Lariat, Single Cab, Long Bed
150,000 miles
351ci Windsor V8
5 speed manual transmission
Manual 4x4 w/ manual locking hubs
Manual windows and door locks

It's a one-owner truck, the seller's step-dad bought it new in '88 with 10 miles. Has all original paperwork, title, etc. It looks a little better from the outside in person than in the photos, the paint is chipped but in a way I don't mind for the age. The interior is IMMACULATE, not a scratch, stain or tear, it's gorgeous. No cracking in the dash either. As for the body, I don't think there's a scratch or dent on the truck's exterior.

As for the trouble spots, and what I'm interested in getting y'all's opinions on... there is pretty significant rust above the wheel wells on the bed, as is visible in the photos. This doesn't bother me too much right now, but will be a future problem. The bed floor looks to be solid under the mat, which is more than I can say for my '06 which is rusted out above the muffler... There is a little bit of rust showing on the fenders behind the front wheels, right by the corner of the doors... underneath the driver's side, there is about a 6x8 inch patch that is rusty and weak, around the bushing and about where your foot would sit for the clutch. Other than those areas, the body seems good, and I only observed the usual surface rust on the suspension components, etc. Also, the guy told me that the truck won't switch to its rear fuel tank and the fuel gauge doesn't work, and the A/C needs freon.

Anyway, like I said, this will be a slow, long term project. I got the motor/transmission/4x4 combination I've been looking for, its a one owner, gorgeous interior and seems like minimal rot for a 30yo truck. Where would y'all go from here? My first priority is going to be the fuel tank and fuel gauge, and then just enjoying it with my wife and maintaining well. What preventative measures would y'all take with the rust spots? Long term I'd like to replace all the suspension and steering components (steers like a boat right now), and enjoy it as a family project. Also, good deal? What do y'all think. Will attach photos Saturday when I pick it up.

BV
Old 02-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,122 Likes on 2,829 Posts

i can almost guarantee the rad support is all but gone

IMO you paid a little too much, MAYBE before you sign on the dotted line, I would take it to a mechanic and have them look it over
Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

Yeah, I think you paid a bit much too. I got my '95 about 4 years ago for $2900 with 130k and no rust issues at all. But out here in Oregon they don't use salt on the roads in winter so vehicles don't rust much. But still, if you like what you got and you're comfortable with the price, then great! It will be a project you can really get into and enjoy! And be sure to check here for lot's of good advice and help!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

That truck has a lot of rust.

I don't consider it a good deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 XLT Lariat 4x4 Purchase, Looking for Advice Moving Forward