Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

SundayBuy.com Multimedia Navigation for 2009-2013 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Thumbs up SundayBuy.com Multimedia Navigation for 2009-2013 F150

I recently received an aftermarket In-Dash Car Multimedia Navigation System from [MENTION=166363]sundaybuy[/MENTION] for me to review.

See thread here:
https://www.f150forum.com/f59/find-t...-150-a-237993/

After putting it through it's paces for the past month, I'm here to report my results.

Ordering process: Pretty much painless, go their site and select the options you want. Not really that many options. Pretty much a standard online order that we've all done 1000 times. At least I have.

Shipping: There are several different shipping options, so choose wisely. This came straight from China, and can take up to three weeks shipping. It's all about what you choose during checkout.

Packaging: Product came very well packaged in a very sturdy box. No peanuts, it was packed much like a high end tv, with high density foam cut to size. Arrived in perfect condition.

IMG_1740 by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

Numerous bags of wires with plugs on both ends, instructions, etc.

IMG_1741 by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

Appearance: The unit comes with a full faceplate to replace the factory unit. The grain is practically identical. However, the gloss black of the faceplate/surround doesn't match the flat charcoal of the factory faceplate surround.

IMG_1753 by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

Instructions: Here, sundaybuy could use a bit of improvement. However, I expected as much, as I knew the English instructions were translated in China to English. The actual instruction booklet was a bit confusing as to which plugs went where, but I eventually figured it out. What took a bit longer was the one of the plugs in the harness going to the factory harness actually was supposed to come back around and power the radio. After the fact, I realized the diagram on a sticker on top of the radio would actually have been easier to follow and easier to understand, as opposed to the diagram in the instructions.

Wiring: All was plug and play except for the radio antenna adaptor. For whatever reason, the adaptor included with the radio had two things wrong with it. First, you could insert the adaptor into the female motorola jack on the radio part of the way and the radio received perfectly. Insert it fully into the jack and it went away completely. Couldn't get it to work for the life of me. The other problem with the adaptor was it was made to adapt to the satellite antenna, not the am/fm antenna. Was very confusing for me at first, as this was the first vehicle I've had without a standard motorola jack on the antenna wire. After a bit of online research, I determined what the deal was. Went to wal mart, spent 8 dollar, and fixed the issue.

Installation:
Pretty straightforward. Did a quick youtube on how to remove the radio. Came out relatively easy, although a few of the plugs are pretty darn tight. Swapped the HVAC controls and the hazard controls over to the new unit. They were a VERY tight fit, but go them in there. The radio actually mounts to the faceplate, as opposed to screwing to the bracket like the OEM radio. Makes it a bit more difficult to install the assembly back, as it's kind of bulky to hold while plugging in everything. Another set of hands would be extremely helpful. You do transfer the hazard light assembly, the heated seats section, and the hazard light section.

IMG_1751 by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

IMG_1764 by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

IMG_1765 by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

IMG_1752 by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

Operation: I'm still playing and learning the system. The truck isn't my daily driver. Even if it was, my work commute is 13 minutes one way.

Steering Wheel Controls: Volume does work. Haven't really played much with the other things, but you can fast forward songs.

Bluetooth: Both radio streaming and hands free with phone work pretty well. Automatically mutes radio on phone call, etc.

Radio: Tuner reception seems to be a bit weaker than the stock tuner, or it could simply be the cheapo antenna adaptor I got from Wal Mart. No big deal.

Power: It's rated at 45w peak/channel. Drives my aftermarket Infinity speakers much better than the OEM unit. I was considering getting a small woofer, but I may not get one now.

DVD player: Worked as advertised

CD player: Worked as advertised

IPOD hookup: Works fairly well. Only thing I was disappointed in was you can't really access the ipod menu through the radio. You cue it up in the ipod and get it going, choose your songs, etc. There is limited access within the radio submenu (for example, if you choose an album with your ipod, you can then fast forward or rewind with the ipod controls on the radio. But you cannot back out and choose a different album. That has to happen with the ipod.

USB in: Haven't tested

Micro SD slot: Haven't tested

Navigation: Had trouble initially with it. Wouldn't pick up any satellites at all. After a few emails with Stone at SundayBuy, he instructed me to pull the 8gb micro sd card with the GPS stuff on it, and make two minor changes to a text file. Luckily, I had a microsd reader and made the changes. Boom! That did it.

Pretty pleasing format for the GPS stuff, well designed and thought out. Still working with it, but so far I like it.

Backup Camera: I haven't plugged one into it, but I do know it is set to mute the radio and kick over to the screen when in reverse. Need to install a unit to do this. I currently have an aftermarket unit built into my rear view mirror.

Overall operation: Unit is a bit non intuitive in some respects. Tuning the radio is a bit of a learning curve. I would like to see the preset buttons directly on the touchscreen, as opposed to hitting a "list" button to get those presets. Granted, I haven't delved into the instructions and memorized them by heart, but I'm hitting the basics and working from there.

Had a dickens of a time with the button/**** illumination. When the ignition was on "accessory" the buttons lit up just fine. However, when truck was running, the button light went out. If headlights were on, the buttons went out. It was almost like it was wired backwards. Figured it out on accident. Was turning my speedometer illumination down a bit and heard the radio beep. Noticed the buttons were now lit. Put illumination back up and "beep" there when the illumination. So, if you run you dash illumination super bright, be aware the radio gets confused. Mine is about half way and it's all good now.

Touchscreen sensitivity is on par with other OEM units I have used in the past.

This system has WAY more features than I'll ever use. It has a ton of outputs and inputs, and a ton of submenus to customize it however you'd like to see it. Outputs for more video monitors, and zone outputs, sub outputs (including on wire to turn sub on), full equalizer with some eq presets, individual volume control for all the outputs, etc. It's loaded.

Overall, I give this system an A-. If it weren't for the quirks in user interface (they may be the normal way it works in China, I don't know) and if the owners manual were a little better translated, it would get a solid A or even an A+. As far as value, I've never priced aftermarket systems, but I know on the OEM side, they run 1500 or more. I'd say it's a pretty good value, considering I can remember paying that much for a dang Pioneer CD player upgrade over 20 years ago. :-)

Last edited by ymeski56; 01-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 93Cobra#2771:
curtl (01-17-2014), sprpwr (04-17-2014), sundaybuy (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM

Things I'd like to see:
1. Specific instruction set for installation in the F150, including plugging in to the Ford CAN BUS, and routing the one plug back into the radio.
2. A little more intuitive radio interface, with presets buttons on the main touchscreen.
3. Full Ipod controls.
4. Charcoal black instead of gloss black for the radio surround (I have heard that plastidip is almost a perfect match for the inside charcoal black). I don't know if they have any other colors available for the tan interiors, etc.
5. A little translation work on the owners manuals, as they are worded a bit funky.

I am still learning stuff about the unit, and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask in this thread or drop me a PM. Thread is probably easier, as I need to clean out my PM box. :-)

Any picture requests are welcome as well.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 PM

And a final pic of the installed product:

SundayBuy.com Multimedia Navigation for 2009-2013 F150-image-2614555779.jpg
The following users liked this post:
swak6287 (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Are we sure this applies to the 2013-2014's as the title states? . Looks a lot different than my newer style panel.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM

My apologies - should have had 2009-2013 on the title of this thread. Might be worth a PM to sundaybuy to see if they are 2014 compatible as well. I'll have a mod change the title.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771
My apologies - should have had 2009-2013 on the title of this thread. Might be worth a PM to sundaybuy to see if they are 2014 compatible as well. I'll have a mod change the title.
Title fixed.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

as mentioned, this will only work on 2013 models that do not include the 4.2" display or my ford touch. looks good though!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ymeski56
Title fixed.
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 PM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the review, it looks good!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 PM

If anyone wants a coupon code for 5% off, here you go.

Quick Reply: SundayBuy.com Multimedia Navigation for 2009-2013 F150