Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

instrument cluster stepper motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts
Default instrument cluster stepper motor

Ok guys, I plan on attempting to replace the stepper motor on my 2004 F150 Lariat. Does anyone have a picture of the circuit board behind the face plate? They are showing 2 different motors. One is front mounting and the other is rear mounting .Has anyone tried this successfully? I don't feel like paying 125 bucks plus shipping just to replace a part I'm more than capable of doing myself. The motors are 20 bucks a pop which sucks cause Chevy and GMC are only 6 bucks a pop.

Also does anyone have the bulb part # . I'm looking at swapping colors when I get in there.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok I had the same thing happen to my 2004 F150 FX4 the temp gauge and the battery gauge went all the way to the right. I removed the gauge cluster after watching this video
. I then started by take the clips off around the cluster removing the front clear plastic. After I did that I had to remove the needles which were kinda stuck on there hard. I did end up breaking the back plastic on the needle and had to use some super glue. I then soldered the stepper motor out using desoldering braided copper from radio-shack(http://www.cnaweb.com/5-ft-desolderi...DPQaAl1s8P8HAQ) and replaced it with one of the good ones i know that worked. This helped me determine if the stepper motor was damaged or the sender. The stepper motor was damaged. here is a picture of it being removed.

Where i purchased the stepper motor was from: http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/2...nt_stepper.htm

This is the only place i could find the stepper motor. Here is a picture of the Stepper motor with the numbers on it. If you can find one for cheaper that would be great. I paid $20 for each stepper motor.

Sorry but i did not have to replace the bulbs on my unit. Hope this helps.

Last edited by blackhawk00021; 11-20-2015 at 01:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blackhawk00021:
effects4 (10-29-2016), Jaredsford (01-11-2016)

Quick Reply: instrument cluster stepper motor