Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

How to fix window switch.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default How to fix window switch.

So my 2000 F150 xlt was having problems with the passenger window going back up when being controlled by the driver side switch. The switch would send the window down fine but if I wanted to 'roll' it back up I had to reach all the way across and hit the button on the passenger door. Step one is to pop the small door panel off. Just the little piece that holds window buttons, power lock and power mirror switch. I used a flat screwdriver and popped un the front end and then pushed it forward. In hindsight I could have used my fingers. Once up I removed the power window switches. A small flat screwdriver or knife will be helpful getting this out. It is a double switch for driver and passenger window. Once the switch is out and apart you have small metal pieces in it that are flat and have contact points on them. Clean up the contact points a little with fine sand paper or even the tip of your knife. Then identify which one would be contacted by the trouble button. In my case passenger up section. I then took a very small screwdriver and bent it up a tiny bit so contact would be made sooner. Reassemble. Worked great afterwards. I suspect the previous owner may have been pushing that button hard or something causing the metal piece to bend/move. The other switch is auto so he probably held it less. I doubt this will work for all window issues but it is a free fix to try for some windows.
The following users liked this post:
bushwicbill (03-27-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:23 PM

Pre work.

Panel popped off.

Wire connectors out.

Switch apart.

Back side of switch. Note metal contacts with small points or whatever they are called.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Where switch connect to wire quick connect.

Switch back together.

Switch back in panel.

Rear portion in first.

Pushed back.

Front clip snapped in.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be safe to assume this will work on a 2004? I have to press my driver side button several times to get it to go back up. Im waiting for the day it doesnt and of course it will be raining or snowing with my luck.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by bushwicbill
Would it be safe to assume this will work on a 2004? I have to press my driver side button several times to get it to go back up. Im waiting for the day it doesnt and of course it will be raining or snowing with my luck.
I doubt much changed in 4 years. Same principles still apply. Your parts and all many look a little different but I bet its the same if you have the same issue. If the motor for the window is the issue you would not accomplish anything by messing with the switch. But what I did was free and fast so no harm trying.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

It great that you were about to fix it but I would have taken it one step further and applied a light coat of dielectric grease.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix window switch.