Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

CB Radio Install - Where to pull wire

Old 10-30-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Radio Install - Where to pull wire

New to this site and new to CB Radios...I have a 1993 F150, where do I need to look to run the Coax from cab to the bed? Are there holes that are already accessible in the cab and bed or do I need to drill? Also, I think I am going to mount to the toolbox, what is the best antenna to use here when it comes to keeping a low profile and durability? Any help is appreciated!

(Sorry if this question has already been addressed somewhere else, I tried searching as best as I could).
Old 04-30-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to this world!
CB coax can be installed to the bed by either drilling a hole in the body or removing and running the coax through a grommet in the floor of the "shelf in the cab corners; the passenger side has an oval plug and the driver's side has a round rubber plug. If you are using packaged coax with the connector installed, remove one of the plugs, bore a hole the size of the cable, slice one side of the grommet and fit it around the cable and re-install. If you are soldering the connector on after passing through the grommet, bore the hole, pass the cable through, then solder on the Coax.
Getting into the bed is easy; relatively. I go between the outer body panel and the inner bed panel to access the stake pocket from the bottom. I use the stake pocket as there is a hole large enough to pass the coax (with a packaged connector installed) through the pocket into the bed horizontally. Admittedly, it takes patience and effort. You may choose to ream the hole larger to ease the connector through. I suggest any sort of bushing to protect the cable too.
Or, you can bore a hole through the body....
You asked about the antennae...I like a tuneable Firestick; remember: CBs use a distinct wavelength. Buy an antennae that works with a fraction of the 39.34' wavelength; a 1/4 length is commonly known as a "Whip". Firesticks are sold in several lengths; I buy the 4' length. Another good choice is a Wilson brand K40. (Also, buy or make coax that uses the same fractional idea to make tuning easier.)
Your plan to mount it to the toolbox brings many dilemmas that simply have to be decided upon by you. There are articles online that go into detail and offer you choices but no one perfect solution. Here's my advice: don't mount the antennae to the front of the box against the cab as it affects the signal's direction moreso than on the tailgate side of the box. This is the best mounting location advice I can offer. Corner mounting causes directional issues too. Buy or build a right angle mount and bolt it to the box. I will say to ground the antennae mount to the box, the box to the body, and finally, the body to the frame. Grounding is paramount to a good transmission signal. Period. I ran CBs and linears for years and can't stress that point enough. That said, I suggest staying away from a spring in the mount too.

Search this Thread