Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

9007 Headlight Bulb Conversion for 1987-1991 Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Plays with Mopar's to!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 9007 Headlight Bulb Conversion for 1987-1991 Trucks

This swap was done on my old 1988 F150 S/Cab XLT Lariat, 5.0, AOD, you must have done the 3g Alternator swap and have headlight relays before doing this!

Hey guys, this write-up covers the conversion from the stock 9004 bulbs in the 1987-1991 Trucks to the 9007 bulbs used in the 92+ trucks. This is fairly easy and if you know what exactly your looking for, you can get it done in 30min or less.

So to start, we'll need the bulbs, I bought the cheapest O'Reilly's had so I could get my lights changed as fast with as less as I could spend, they are $8.99 a piece here, EiKO brand:

Next, we need something with a point on the end, I tried little tiny screwdrivers and couldn't get them to work, I can't afford a pick set so I improvised:

Here is our headlight plug:

First what we want to do is take the point of our whatever we're using, and prise the red piece out GENTLY:

Removed:

Now in this pic, I've already removed the wires, I did this so you could see the clips needed for the next part:

Inside the plug, above the wires are those ^ tiny clips, take your pointed tool, and GENTLY, lift them up and pull GENTLY on the wire out of the back, it took me a couple tries, but once all three are out you can pull all of the wires out with the rubber grommet.

In this pic, I've already switched the wiring from the 9004 spec to the 9007 spec, this is just to show you the rubber grommet and the wires:

This is the wiring diagram for the 9004's and 9007's, our(87-91's) are on the left, 92+ are right, we're switching to the right:

End of Part I
Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Plays with Mopar's to!

Part II

After you have the wires and rubber grommet out, pull them through the rubber grommet and switch them to the wiring on the right in the above pic, just push them back through the grommet.

Then push the wires back into the plug until you hear a snap, repeat til all three wires are in, then push the rubber grommet in place:

That pic you can see, green on the left, ground in the middle, red on the right, that's Highs, Ground, Lows.

Then put our little red plastic piece in:

Next we need to get the old bulbs out, twist the black collar looking thing on the headlight off, then pull the bulb straight out, your left looking at the hole in the housing where the bulb goes:

It's kinda hard to see in that pic, but the two bottom most tabs, either need filed off, clipped off, or cut off for the 9007 to go in. Once done the new light will push in place. Put the collar back on the bulb, plug your newly rewired plug in, and work on the driverside, it's exactly the same.

This is a before shot of mine with the bad passengerside 9004:

This is daytime after the 9007 conversion:

Night pic(note, in this pic, I was angled to the truck when the pic was shot, that's why the passenger's headlight doesn't look as bright, trust me, it was bright!!), this is Low Beams!

Happy bright lights!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Approved and moved
Old 11-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Plays with Mopar's to!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 9007 Headlight Bulb Conversion for 1987-1991 Trucks