What is this., a vacum line or what? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Pre-1997 F150 > How-To Section > Engine & Drivetrain

What is this., a vacum line or what?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:54 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What is this., a vacum line or what?

just above and behind alternator on right side (looking forward) is some sort of value systems, I think it is ERT or such. From that valve what looks like a vacuum ling extends down to what appears to be a standard vacuum connection off the engine. It is located above spark plug, between nr 1&2 . The hose goes from there to the device behind alternator.

Sorry to be so confusing but I do not have a book wiht the correct name for al the stuff. My question is the fitting that is plugged into engine seems blocked. Since I am not sure of function, I have not tried to clean out the blocked tube the hose fits around at engine side. Seems that it should be clear to function, BUT while it has fitting to put socket around and remove suspect it would be a job as looks nearly rusted in place. The hose end at engine side has a odd shaped rubber end fitting which is kind of bell shaped and rather worn out.

So if you can understand all, can I then put small drill in hole to open up the fitting and perhaps draw vacuum or what ever it does? Can find nothing in any manual or diagram that says what this is or function.

Last edited by tfallsmt; 03-08-2015 at 01:56 AM. Reason: add 1&2
tfallsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 03-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Fleet Technician

Thanked 1,946 Times in 1,533 Posts

Need more info, what year, what engine, is it a truck, a space shuttle, ?????? Picture is worth a thousand words falls into place as well.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

Default sorry but forgot to list the needed data

1993 ford f150, EFI, .o engine. Camera is not here, lent it to some folks for vacation. Best I can do for now, Simply cannot believe I left out data on truck model etc. Hope this helps as the fitting that is plugged up sure looks like some sort of standard male engine side vacum fitting. Do note the hose in line is a odd hard plastic that fits over the engine side, BUT, when rubber cover on, bell shaped, the wide end fits over what seems an adapter to go from small sized hose to up one size, and it appears small end of bell fitting is supposed to fit over engine side with some sort of clamp arrangement (none there now) as is much larger then a tight fit with engine side. When I remove the rubber fabric bell cover I can plug small hose connection on line directly.
Again I apologize for a bit of rambling descriptions, but cannot find anything anywhere that describes this area of parts. I am not at all sure of function of what it plugs into, but have noted engine side plugged up or appears so. Worried if I clear it with small drill bit might not be the thing to do, it is removable but worried might break off male fitting and seems very difficult to get out...

Last edited by tfallsmt; 03-08-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Here is pic, hose is black one inside yellowClick the image to open in full size.

eng hose