Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

New guy needs assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needs assistance

I have a 1988 f150 300 6 4x4.. the previous owner did quite a bit of needed maintenance, one of the things he did was replace the exhaust manifold, when I bought it today it was leaking. he said when he installed it it was fine , and then told me that after a new installation gaskets/manifold that the bolts needed to be retorqued, after a period of time , any truth to this? and if so how the world do I get in there to do so? thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Okie.

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jaltman1984
I have a 1988 f150 300 6 4x4.. the previous owner did quite a bit of needed maintenance, one of the things he did was replace the exhaust manifold, when I bought it today it was leaking. he said when he installed it it was fine , and then told me that after a new installation gaskets/manifold that the bolts needed to be retorqued, after a period of time , any truth to this? and if so how the world do I get in there to do so? thanks in advance
They are supposed to be retorqed after 50 miles. It was simple for me I have small hands. But just torque the bolts back to spec then in one more week repeat to ensure no more gasket compression. If you wait too long you will burn a hole in the gasket where it leaks at. The hardest bolts are the ones on the last two. Just remember the intake is in between each exhaust port.

Quick Reply: New guy needs assistance