Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

First Time Ford Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Ford Owner

Hello! (hopefully this is the right place to post this!) I am a first time ford owner. I have a 1990 F150 with the 302 v8 in it. I had a few questions. My Oil pressure guage sits at normal, but goes to the low end a lot. Is that normal? Also, she shifts a little hard into reverse. Is that typical? My last question is, my heat only comes out of the defrost vents. How do i fix that?
Old 09-14-2015, 05:02 PM

Hello, I'm a Mustang guy and have been restoring a 96 F150 but Ill try to give you a hand here.

The fluctuating oil pressure I don't have an answer for but, I'm going to have to say that's not normal. I've never dealt with that issue.

With the reverse issue first off I'm assuming your taking about an automatic transmission. My truck shifts into reverse a little hard too and the transmission was professionally rebuilt 25,000 miles ago. I believe in 91 they actually made some changes to the automatic transmissions to specifically address the issue of hard shifting into reverse.

Your final question I believe I can actually help you with a little. Your truck uses vacuum to change the vents, defrost should be the default if there is a malfunction/loss of vacuum. If you pop out the vent control switch there is actually a few vacuum lines hooked directly up to it. I would try to look under your dash to make sure those lines are intact and attached, they are colored lines red, blue, green, and brown maybe (I don't exactly remember the colors but you will notice them.) Then look for vacuum leaks in lines under the hood, the source of vacuum is obviously the engine. I know this is vague, if you had a mustang I could tell you the exact location of all these lines.

I hope I helped some, good luck!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Welcome to the site

Brandyn193 is correct about checking the vacuum system. Also the air diverter door could be sticking/ or the cable from the vacuum module could be off/broken.
Question for clarify the "hard shift" is it a loud clunk sound or a high rev ****** when going into reverse? (loud clunking sound could be u-joint, ****** could be low on fluid)
Also on the oil problem, when was the last oil change, is it low on the dipstick? (I have noticed in the past low/dirty oil will lot the pressure fluctuate. If it is time for an oil change sea-foam the oil system then change the oil and filter) Could also be the oil pressure transmitter is going out.

Hope this helps
Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brandyn193
Hello, I'm a Mustang guy and have been restoring a 96 F150 but Ill try to give you a hand here.

The fluctuating oil pressure I don't have an answer for but, I'm going to have to say that's not normal. I've never dealt with that issue.

With the reverse issue first off I'm assuming your taking about an automatic transmission. My truck shifts into reverse a little hard too and the transmission was professionally rebuilt 25,000 miles ago. I believe in 91 they actually made some changes to the automatic transmissions to specifically address the issue of hard shifting into reverse.

Your final question I believe I can actually help you with a little. Your truck uses vacuum to change the vents, defrost should be the default if there is a malfunction/loss of vacuum. If you pop out the vent control switch there is actually a few vacuum lines hooked directly up to it. I would try to look under your dash to make sure those lines are intact and attached, they are colored lines red, blue, green, and brown maybe (I don't exactly remember the colors but you will notice them.) Then look for vacuum leaks in lines under the hood, the source of vacuum is obviously the engine. I know this is vague, if you had a mustang I could tell you the exact location of all these lines.

I hope I helped some, good luck!
I found out theres a few oil leaks today. So theres a few small things that need fixed
Old 10-11-2015, 03:13 PM

To fix small leaks, I used the NAPA brand oil leak stopper. Honestly it helped fix my oil pressure. Although, to be honest with you, I have been told that the oil gauge is a "dummy" gauge anyway, and as long as it does not go into the red you will be fine.

Quick Reply: First Time Ford Owner