Topic Sponsor
How-To Section Articles and Answers to the most commonly asked Ford F150 questions!

94 F150 4.9 stripping serpentine belts

Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 F150 4.9 stripping serpentine belts

My truck has been stripping off the outside edge (edge facing grill) of my serpentine belts recently. I just replaced the water pump and this wasn't happening before then. A piece of the belt is being stripped off about once a day.

The water pump I bought new was a Duralast; I replaced the belt at the same time with a Dayco Polyrib. This happened once before the last time I change my belt, but only one piece was sheared off and it never happened again.

When we were tightening the fan nut, other than screwing it all the way on, we also hit it with a chisel to turn it a bit more. We had to hit in this way to get it off (the nut turned a good amount before it was loose enough to turn by hand) so I don't think we did anything wrong there. The fan is a little stiffer to turn now than it was before.

Any ideas?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM

I figured out that the pulley for the power steering is loose. I went to autozone to rent a PS pulley removing tool but it does not seem to be working. When I go to turn the tool, the pulley moves with it. Is it supposed to do that? Ive looked up how to use the tool and im using it correctly but the pulley is not coming off.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:56 PM

I have been having the same problem the last couple days. wonder if you had any suggestions. I didnt see any answers to your post, so I am hopeing you got yours fixed
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front most rib on my belt got stripped off too but just the one so I haven't really messed with it but I'll definitely take a look at the power steering pulley when I bypass the air pump.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM

hoytray, I ended having to get another person to help me take the PS pump off it was difficult even then. Anyway, I did get it fixed; a quick note: when you tighten the PS pully back on, make sure that it is flush with the nut in the middle, it might not look like its in line with the other pulleys (mine doesnt) but that is usually the way to reinstall the pulley.

JoeNoble, after I installed the new PS pump and pulley the front most rib got stripped off again, im not sure why but other than that front rib stripping off, I havent had any problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 F150 4.9 stripping serpentine belts