Topic Sponsor

wont crank without starter button,

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont crank without starter button,

hello,i have a new starter,selenoid,and yesterday i did the ignition switch,when i bought the truck it had a button,the guy said it needed a ignition switch,i did that yesterday,its adjusted correctly,the rod is moving the switch to crank,is there any fuseable links ect,i wanna get rid of this damm starter button,
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

On the starter solonoid there might be three connections. There are two big terminals, and one smaller terminal, for the ignition wire from the harness.

Is the smaller wire from the harness connected to the starter solonoid ?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=LobstahClaw;2085476]On the starter solonoid there might be three connections. There are two big terminals, and one smaller terminal, for the ignition wire from the harness.

Is the smaller wire from the harness connected to the starter solonoid
yes it is i have one wire from the button going there,so i disconnect it,and put the small push on wire on the selenoid,and i have no crank over,
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It would have been nice if it were the simple thing.

You know the actuator rod and starter switch are good. It's connected at the starter solonoid.

Could be i'm missing something, but if it were me i would start looking for a problem somewhere in the wiring harness or the ignition system. It might be hard to find.

Different year trucks are wired a little differently. You'll need to get the right wiring diagram for your truck. If you can borrow a copy of the Haynes repair manual it has most of the diagrams you would need in the back.

Once you know how it's laid out you can follow the ignition circuitry with an electrical tester and try to pin down where the problem is.
The following users liked this post:
paculprit (10-08-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM

Default Having the same issues

I havea a 93 Ford F150, 5.0. I have replaced the Solenoid, the starter, battery connectors and the Battery Tested Good. All the truck does is click when you turn the key. It sounds like the battery is dead, but it's not. I have tried jumping the post on the solenoid but still nothing but clickin. Can someone help? Thanks for looking.

Quick Reply: wont crank without starter button,